WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon all,

I lost my seconds hand on my longines. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

Thank you in
advance

Martin

·
Super Moderator
15,558 Posts
Look for a parts donor watch on eBay, or
Ask a local watchmaker to source a sweep second hand for you.

·
Super Moderator
15,558 Posts
My apologies, but I'm not sure what you mean by "they". If you mean the missing seconds hand, Esslinger.com sells them (brand new) for $2.95 but you need to know what size is needed.

If you mean a parts donor watch, it all depends on things like the overall amount of deterioration the watch has suffered and what the case is made of: it could be as high as $400 if the watch case is 18 kt gold, or $30 for one made of stainless steel in rough condition, or you might feel lucky and risk getting a 10-pound box full of watches for $65 and hope for the best. The variables will seem endless.

If it were my watch and my problem, I'd just hand it to my watch guy and ask him "to fix it".
I'm (possibly) a 20-watch repeat customer with Bernie. For a job this simple, he'd charge me HIS cost for the part and maybe five bucks to install it, betting that the next job I send his way him will be MUCH more lucrative for him. And it just might be, considering the way my Ball Fireman ll is acting up! LoL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look for a parts donor watch on eBay, or
Ask a local watchmaker to source a sweep second hand for you.
My apologies, but I'm not sure what you mean by "they". If you mean the missing seconds hand, Esslinger.com sells them (brand new) for $2.95 but you need to know what size is needed.

If you mean a parts donor watch, it all depends on things like the overall amount of deterioration the watch has suffered and what the case is made of: it could be as high as $400 if the watch case is 18 kt gold, or $30 for one made of stainless steel in rough condition, or you might feel lucky and risk getting a 10-pound box full of watches for $65 and hope for the best. The variables will seem endless.

View attachment 225207

If it were my watch and my problem, I'd just hand it to my watch guy and ask him "to fix it".
I'm (possibly) a 20-watch repeat customer with Bernie. For a job this simple, he'd charge me HIS cost for the part and maybe five bucks to install it, betting that the next job I send his way him will be MUCH more lucrative for him. And it just might be, considering the way my Ball Fireman ll is acting up! LoL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning. I'm sorry, yes, with "they" I meant the seconds hand. Funny, I lost the seconds hand when I banged my fist on the table and the watch glass came off and so did the seconds hand. I must have searched an hour for the seconds hand to no avail.

I have a watch guy in bangkok who actually brought the watch back to life years ago and always kept it working albeit he didn't use genuine longines parts. So, with the seconds hand , I am not particular with it being genuine or even 14k gold as the watch is . Unfortunately, I am stuck in Chicago for now and don't know if any watchmaker who is reliable or trustworthy.

Oh, who is bernie ? Again, thank you for all the help and information.

·
Super Moderator
15,558 Posts
So sorry....it slipped my mind how new you are to WTF.
Bernie Napolitano owns a jewelry and watch repair shop about 3 km from my house. His shop is where I have been taking my watches for repairs and cleanings ever since I joined WTF over 11 years ago, and by now I'm one of his better repeat customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good morning and apologies for the late reply . Would you recommend that I make a post inquiring if anyone in the Chicago area knows a watchmaker? I assume that you are not state side from your reference to km :) ..hope that your am is going well.

·
Super Moderator
15,558 Posts
" I assume that you are not state side from your reference to km :) ..hope that your am is going well. "

Um, no, that would be incorrect. I'm in New York State, on the southern shore of Lake Ontario. In using kilometers, I was deferring to your referring to ''a Thai watchguy and you being stuck in Chicago''. I'm afraid I made the assumption you are not a native American. Rather, I should have said 2 1/2 miles and let you concert as necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good morning,
Sorry for the confusion. I'm actually originally from nj, about thirty minutes from nyc and was living in bkk before the pandemic. I checked out some watch places here around my area in Chicago and they all want to send the watch out. Actually, my sister is coming from nj this weekend and I'll give her the watch to see if she can have it repaired with the watchmaker in nj,that I have used before. If not, I will make a post here asking if there are any group members in Chicago that know of a watchmaker. Maybe i should ask regardless as it's convenient to have someone close . Apologies for the length of the post. As twain said " I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead".

Martin

·
Super Moderator
15,558 Posts
(1) No apology necessary.
(2) Good luck with you and your sister.
(3) "Sending the watch out" is not an uncommon practice. To be honest, my own watch guy doesn't personally do 100% of the repair work either. I have no qualms with that, as long as the need to do so is not unreasonable or the watch's warranty has expired, but IMHO, I think it's silly the way some watchmakers try to pad their own bill by wanting to ship a $1200 watch all the way to Switzerland or Germany to be repaired.
Not that this is your situation.....I'm just sayin'.

".... if there are any group members in Chicago that know of a watchmaker. Maybe I should ask regardless as it's convenient to have someone close."
Definitely! It's not going to cost you anything to ask. and you never know when that information will be useful.
Best wishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts