WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend has a Longine's Five Star Admiral Doctor's Watch. It runs as soon as you move the watch, and keeps great time. I am looking for any information to help him out, as the only thing I can find online about it is that is it uncommon. He knows it is at least 50 years old, and the band has since rotted away. Please let me know any information on this watch (years manufactured, value, etc.). Thank you so much for looking and for any help you can give me!

Remove Bezel to use 1260 Admiral Wrench.jpg Front.jpg 14K Gold.jpg Front From Bottom.jpg Front From Top.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi Shemp. Yes, that is uncommon. The only other 14K solid gold one I've seen is owned by one of our moderators RJ007 / Greg. That should have a caliber 34x inside (340 or 342). It's a very nice movement from the 1960's that you can see more about HERE.

Nice watch. :thumbup1: I'm trying to get Greg to remember to bring his to the watchmaker's shop to see which caliber is inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shemp. Yes, that is uncommon. The only other 14K solid gold one I've seen is owned by one of our moderators RJ007 / Greg. That should have a caliber 34x inside (340 or 342). It's a very nice movement from the 1960's that you can see more about HERE.

Nice watch. :thumbup1: I'm trying to get Greg to remember to bring his to the watchmaker's shop to see which caliber is inside.
I was wondering if I should tell my friend to get it serviced, or leave it as is. Also, what would an approximate value be for this? Thank you so much.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
I was wondering if I should tell my friend to get it serviced, or leave it as is.
If he plans on wearing it, definitely get it serviced. If it's only going to sit in a box or drawer, it's not necessary.

Also, what would an approximate value be for this?
Don't really know because there isn't much precedent. In the current condition I can tell you that regular Admirals with similar 14ct cases and movements from the same series sell for $650 - $1000 depending on condition. I'd guess that would add a bit of a premium for the uncommon dial. It's in very good shape, not mint, but the only way to judge is by what somebody would be willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
If he plans on wearing it, definitely get it serviced. If it's only going to sit in a box or drawer, it's not necessary.

Don't really know because there isn't much precedent. In the current condition I can tell you that regular Admirals with similar 14ct cases and movements from the same series sell for $650 - $1000 depending on condition. I'd guess that would add a bit of a premium for the uncommon dial. It's in very good shape, not mint, but the only way to judge is by what somebody would be willing to pay for it.
Here is a thread to my example...

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/longines-forum/28335.htm

Currently, with all the box and goodies in mint shape... $2500+

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Great watch! That style of watch is often called a Doctor's Watch or also a Pulsometer, as it can be used to measure the pulse rate. Have a look at this thread for more info on pulsometers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts