WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to the forum and just beginning to learn about Longines. I have recently decided to start using my dad's 1944 Longines (9L movement) that I inherited upon his death in 1950. Just recently had it cleaned and serviced by an authorized dealer. I just noticed that the second hand keeps moving when the crown is pulled out to the time setting position. I thought I remembered it as stopping at this setting but now I am not sure. The watch and I are the same age and it is probably working better than I. Should the second hand run or not run at the time setting position? Also what kind of run time should I expect? Thank you all for accepting me into your forum and with sharing your knowledge, Duke

· Super Moderator
17,361 Posts
I am not sure what it means, but all I can find out about this 9L is that it had an indirect seconds hand.
@ SFwatchGuy- to make a long answer short:
(For those new to this hobby, you should know that the very first wrist watches only had a minute and an hour hand!) having an indirect seconds hand means the power link configuration between the mainspring, gear train, and second hand are different now from how it was assembled when second hands were first used in wristwatches. Go to this Hodinkee page for a fuller explanation:
A look at the history of center seconds hands in watches. (hodinkee.com)

· Super Moderator
17,361 Posts
I just don't know that much about power trains to say, one way or another.
All I know is- you asked a question, and I was able to find an answer. Unfortunately, the knowledge needed to understand it all is a little above my pay grade.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just don't know that much about power trains to say, one way or another.
All I know is- you asked a question, and I was able to find an answer. Unfortunately, the knowledge needed to understand it all is a little above my pay grade.
Thank you very much for your reply Bill. Sometimes when we ask a question as beginners we get more info than our newbie brains can handle. Again Thank you, Duke

· Super Moderator
17,361 Posts
Asking questions is how we learn. Neither I or anyone else was born with this stuff already in our heads. When I first joined WTF, I kept a pen and pad handy. When I read something I didn't understand, I jotted it down so that I'd remember to ask the next time I logged in. Now look where I am !
Hm-m-m-m-m-m.... I wonder if maybe you should instead look into collecting Pez dispensers, Superman/Batman comics, or Hummel figurines, or.....o_O

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Asking questions is how we learn. Neither I or anyone else was born with this stuff already in our heads. When I first joined WTF, I kept a pen and pad handy. When I read something I didn't understand, I jotted it down so that I'd remember to ask the next time I logged in. Now look where I am !
Hm-m-m-m-m-m.... I wonder if maybe you should instead look into collecting Pez dispensers, Superman/Batman comics, or Hummel figurines, or.....o_O
Thanks again Bill. I like watches but most that I have are newer. This one is special because it was my fathers. I also like old toys and we have an old Corvette. Always room for one more vice. Duke

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.