WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and quite new to vintage watches. Came across a beautiful Longines 6B/159 watch and the engraving on the case back captured my eye. Others seem a bit different from this era and I was wondering if any of you may have some comments as to whether the markings are consistent with those of the 1943 era and if you've seen any similar to these?

Many thanks in advance.

Audio equipment Window Camera accessory Material property Gadget

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. I’ve seen many other 6b/159 engravings that seem to be a bit thicker (second example in the above thread). I’m curious if this particular engraving in the first example is original? Particularly the way the numbers were engraved, seems almost computer like.

· Premium Member
825 Posts
Or possibly with an engraving pantograph like this one. Back in the day we manufactured 19" rack mount SMPTE time code equipment and all the front panels were engraved with one of these, before computers of course. A pattern was made much larger than the finished product and scaled appropriately. It was said they were so accurate that the manufacturer of the machine engraved the lords prayer on the head of a pin. I never saw that example but don't doubt it.

Machine tool Art Creative arts Machine Jig grinder

Photograph Musician Military person Typing Military uniform

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is extremely informative thank you for your replies. If it was engraved in 1943, it seems to be quite a unique engraving as I’ve tried to find others like it without much luck. By far my favourite watch in the collection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.