WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
For now I'll continue to wear the white dial as a daily wear Astro. If/when I find a good correct dial, I'll pick it up and make it right. The Swiss one, that is another story. As it turns out, its going to need its own thread as its a very different watch from a US Astro in many ways. The case, the crystal, the GMT bezel, all different, and different from the normal Swiss Astros as well. The 339 cases are very unique creatures.

As a vintage car collector ('59 Alfa 101 Giulietta Sprint, '69 Datsun 2000, '88 BMW M3. They all have personalized touches, the Datsun looks stock but runs a 2 min lap at Sears Point. Needless to say, its not stock under the valve cover) I don't mind minor customization, but I'd rather find a totally correct looking sleeper than something with the wrong engine or modernized custom interior or something like that.

Will
BBM3... school me me please. What is a 339 case Swiss? I thought there were only two types of Swiss Astro: black dial and cream/blonde dial. Both had baton hands and a ceramic bezel and other than that, they were exactly the same. Is there a third variant? Note that when I say "cream or blonde dial", I am not talking about the white dial ones that started this whole conversation. The Swiss Astro blond/cream is quite different. Bulova_Accutron_Astronaut_uhrentick.ch.jpg - looks like this gem (that I think a member here bought!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
A 339 Swiss Astro is about as rare as they get. It is a type one astro as you can see from the pics. It is a 339 case, with a 339 crystal, gloss dial that says T Swiss T on the front, and has SWISS printed on the back side (instead of being a flat black dial like the normal US versions.) The case is different from the US versions in several ways. The lugs are different from all other Astronaut cases and the side band is narrower. The lugs are a little bigger AND they are not rounded, but, instead they have a single angled facet that separates two semi flat faces. The straight cut band on both sides and middle of the bezel is noticeably narrower than the standard USA Astronaut case as well. The really interesting thing that has not been proven out yet is whether the normal swiss 1-XXXXX version uses a swiss movement, vs my non prefix version that uses a US movement. (From what I can tell, it appears that all the non prefix swiss watches use a US movement whereas the prefix watches are straight up Swiss through and through.)

I have no idea why the 339 exists. Clearly they made very few, but they have their own part number in the Swiss parts catalog. (Style number 21201 or 21202 My guess is that the 21201 is the black dial, the 202 being the silver dial, but that could be reversed.)

Here is a pic showing the different shapes between the US 1245 crystal and the Swiss 339 crystal. As you can see, the 339 is a much more curved profile than the 1245.

I'm still researching to try and find more info, but this is what I know as of now.

Will

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I concur that there are different cases floating around as a general statement. Some pics below to show this comparison of my early M2 to a swiss marked dial watch lug widths. I also had a USA style bezel fitted on a traditional black swiss astro. I have seen numerous examples of "the wrong bezel" on black swiss variants instead of the solid black bakelite style. I swapped it out for a normal swiss bezel and tried to fit the USA style on a USA case. The bezel would just spin freely. I sold it to a guy and he had the same issue of it spinning freely which is odd since it is a friction fit. Could have been other reasons why the USA bezel would do that. As far as rarity goes, that is sort of subjective. I would rank rarity based on low production and availability (#1 being rarest):

1) Early M2 watches without astronaut text on the dial. Very specific E14 or E15 prefix serial number range and low production.
2) 18k Astronauts, especially M1 marked
3) M2 watches with standard Astronaut dials - F prefix serial is the earliest. Then G serial transitioned into M3 date codes with no delta marks.
4) Tiffany or any other special marked watch
5) Swiss Marked Astronaut dials (not type 4)
6) Day/Night Astros
7) Traditional Swiss Astros
8) Enhanced Dial Astros - all varieties
9) Simple Silver
10) Standard black dials

20191130_152535.jpg
20191130_153143.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got it. Sorry to diverge from the original question of "white dials". Indeed I can confirm that the 339 case is quite different than other cases. As noted, the lugs on my Swiss Blonde (looks exactly like the photo I posted) are not rounded/polished like my other regular Astro. I think I posted some pics a few years ago. They are quite angular and have some defined angles as BBM3 has stated. I have just lumped all of those models into one bucket called "Swiss Type 4" and they are either black dial or blond dial. Not sure if that is always correct though.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts