WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Most redials have a little notch filed in the edge at 3 so they can maintain orientation after removing the old markings. If you have a notch, it's a redial. If you don't have a notch, it may or may not be a redial.

·
Registered
253 Posts
He made a good point about trying to re-dial a black one....You'd have to get the black finish/paint off to get to pure white like ones in question. I wonder if maybe they were a limited run from the factory? I also note that the two examples we know of in this puzzle are a basic dial and an enhanced dial (ie the one from Piker's site). I guess that might be a possibility right? They took a few hundred Astro dials (in the white) and made them "white" like a RR and then assembled them into "white astros". Not to confuse a "white astro" with a blonde Swiss Type 4. I have a Swiss Type 4 Blonde and it is most certainly not white - even though sometimes people call it a Swiss T4 White dial. Paging Rob B to the courtesy phone...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I pulled my movement out of the case and I don't remember seeing a notch anywhere on the dial. That was one of the things I was looking for, as well as a dot or something else that didn't appear to need to be there. I found nothing.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Stu, the accutron text is clearly not aligned on the dial where it should be. And the font size looks off to me. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There may be another white dialed on on ebay right now. I messaged the seller asking if it was indeed a white dial with discoloration or a silver dial with discoloration. I haven't heard back yet.

This does seem to have the narrower lume markers like mine, but again, not sure if its actually a white dial or not.

·
Registered
296 Posts
International Dial

International Dial did this one for me. I didn't request an exact match so the "Bulova" is wrong but it still is amazing to me that they can recover a scrap dial.

You can see the tiny notch on the refinished dial like Chris said.

AstroDial_before_after_email.jpg

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Without really high resolution pictures, it's hard to say if something is camera distortion or if it is just a redial job. My vote is unchanged that it is a redial. The accutron text on his white dial sits too low on the dial. His text sits on what would be the second line of a "bulova accutron" labeled dial. The triangles are not the same to my eye. The astronaut text looks decent, but the "A" letters look a little off to me. I have stared at this dial a lot as it is is an interesting topic and I hope other examples come up.

dial-comparison.jpg
marker-comparison.jpg
text-1.jpg
text-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Without some sort of connecting the dots research or actual comparison documentation and very detailed pics, beyond saying yes it does or no it doesn't, the whole conversation is 'speculation'. Aside from a few Swiss dials that obviously matched up well with Swiss movements and Swiss Bezel rings, I don't see how you can use those few Europe based oddities to try to tie them to any USA dials that may look similar. Facts!!!!!!! Not maybes!!! That's how folklore one of a kind watches become real. Talk about it enough, people start believing it's real.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Can we see more examples of redials? Known examples, for instance? I see a difference in the “C” in Accutron and the slant of the “A” in Astronaut. So that make me wonder who uses similar fonts. Of course, that doesn’t exclude an older redial, or one from an unknown purveyor, but it might answer the question about similar dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Since the discussion was about the specific watch posted and if its legit/authentic that is one thing. It would be sort of off topic to just start posting tons of redial pictures on this thread. I don't collect such pictures, but there are plenty of bad examples. Most redials do a terrible job of matching the original font and the slanted astronaut text. I have seen some really well done redials and most of those are still easy to spot based on the texture/finish of the dials. A lot of original black astronaut dial have a finish that look like felt/furry/textured. The simple silver and enhanced dials are lacquer/paint so they can degrade and flake easily and can also generate really nice sunbursts. Black dial redials tend to have a more smooth perfect spray finish with no texture like the one posted earlier in the thread. The swiss marked dials are oddballs though because they are a glassy/shiny lacquer.

·
Super Moderator
15,313 Posts
...It would be sort of off topic to just start posting tons of redial pictures on this thread...
Well... start a new thread with that as the topic! If enough donor pics show up amd the Mods like what you're doing (and they like this idea), we can even turn it into a Sticky.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I finally have some news on my white dial. It is indeed a redial. My watchmaker had this to say...
1 - the dial has been glass bead blasted to strip it...
2 - the font is not correct with the letter "A" on both "Accutron" and "Astronaut" being very different than anything Bulova would do...
3 - although it looks very good the white paint was under applied and is a bit "orange peeled" which again Bulova would never do...

So, I'd say that pretty much covers that. I can't say that I'm surprised however.

Does anyone have a spare black or silver dial that they would be willing to part with to make it correct?

Will

·
Registered
253 Posts
Are you saying that you are giving up on just getting the white redone? I think the white enamel finish looks cool.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would have no problem wearing that white dialed watch, you have another rare black swiss astro there if you want correct. Kinda like vintage cars, I love to see original correct cars but I also love to see "tastefully personalized" cars. There are enough original correct astros out there and they all look exactly like their proper counterparts. Very rare examples, sure I'd rather see them original or correct, but your dial was probably (hopefully) redone to salvage a bad example anyway. I like your white dial, if you find an original replacement it'll look like everybody elses and it'll be correct. But I wear my watches to please me only, I don't care if anybody else appreciates them or sees me wearing them. Hell, if I'm wearing long sleeves I may be wearing two watches! :cool1: That way I can peek at them and enjoy them two at the time. I'd wear your watch and be tickled because it's different and looks cool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
For now I'll continue to wear the white dial as a daily wear Astro. If/when I find a good correct dial, I'll pick it up and make it right. The Swiss one, that is another story. As it turns out, its going to need its own thread as its a very different watch from a US Astro in many ways. The case, the crystal, the GMT bezel, all different, and different from the normal Swiss Astros as well. The 339 cases are very unique creatures.

As a vintage car collector ('59 Alfa 101 Giulietta Sprint, '69 Datsun 2000, '88 BMW M3. They all have personalized touches, the Datsun looks stock but runs a 2 min lap at Sears Point. Needless to say, its not stock under the valve cover) I don't mind minor customization, but I'd rather find a totally correct looking sleeper than something with the wrong engine or modernized custom interior or something like that.

Will

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Agreed Will, I'd love a ride around the track in that 2000!

Hey that ebay listing has fighting time zones too. Interesting white dial, but to my eye looks like a redial. And that bracelet is from a later quartz time period.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A ride around Laguna Seca in the roadster... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASpZtYiPr5Q&t=335s This was before the car became pretty. It was just loud and pretty fast in 2010.

As for the white dial Astro on ebay, I don't put much stock in what bracelet a watch comes with since they are easily swapped out. Yes, it should have a coffin link, but oh well. The seller says the dial is smooth, not with the textured surface mine has. Seller was thinking it might be a redial, but isn't sure.

Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
As for the white dial Astro on ebay, I don't put much stock in what bracelet a watch comes with since they are easily swapped out. Yes, it should have a coffin link, but oh well. The seller says the dial is smooth, not with the textured surface mine has. Seller was thinking it might be a redial, but isn't sure.

Will
I've read that dealers would swap out any strap on a new watch and for that reason any Accutron strap could technically be considered "correct." I think that the coffin link is the best looking to my eye, however.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts