WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just back together and all ready except for the crystal install on Tuesday. Sorry for the quick pics

The crappy crystal makes the dial and chapter ring look worse than they are. They are actually almost perfect. The inside of the lugs were filled by laser welding and the whole case polished to a perfect shine. The case back and lock ring was also restored. It has taken almost three months since I purchased the watch but Once the new crystal is installed It will be almost perfect and well worth the wait. If now I could only find a Swiss Astronaut that does not have a bad dial and a ate up rotating bezel. That would be my ideal next project

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My "N2" Accutron Railroad Approved with either original band or original replacement band. Seen in background is another spare NOS Bulova Accutron band of different grain pattern. Sam2: case look familiar?
Yes! I made a note of the case number when I had my watch serviced but have misplaced it. Do you happen to know what it is? 2857?

·
Registered
33 Posts
After doing the research on my dad's watch, I fell in love with the railroad model, and picked up one that's the same year as my dad's astronaut. It's in amazing condition, and I got a nice band for it as well. It just may become the one I wear daily.

railroad-small.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
After doing the research on my dad's watch, I fell in love with the railroad model, and picked up one that's the same year as my dad's astronaut. It's in amazing condition, and I got a nice band for it as well. It just may become the one I wear daily.

View attachment 31119
Yes, they are nice watches. Nothing really special like some models but different, nonetheless. As a lifelong fan of model railroads, I just had to add one to the collection when I re-kindled my interest in Accutrons. Sometime this Spring mine will go in for a second hand change to a red tuning fork second hand. I know, not factory spec but I like them and that's all that counts. Will be documented and the original second hand kept.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yes! I made a note of the case number when I had my watch serviced but have misplaced it. Do you happen to know what it is? 2857?
Sorry it took so long but had to get around to taking the case back off. Mine is stamped in ink "9-2" and "285?". The last mark looks like a "7" but the ink is smeared and it may not even be a number. Any idea? At least all date markings on mine agree with "N2" on the mvt. and case back as well as the "9-2" on the inside of the case back. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, they are nice watches. Nothing really special like some models but different, nonetheless.
So true. Looking at the railroads I was struck by their simplicity and design. I love the shape of the hands and the large numbers on the white field. Right now I've got carte blanche with the wife to buy whatever I want (big birthday coming up), but I personally don't have room or the desire to buy something to put on display - I want to wear it. This watch has all the features I want.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I love the swiss railroad even more. Must have!
If you get one, look for these things
1. no gouges on the bezel
2. no gouges on the back
3. mint chapter ring
4. mint dial and hands. Those hands are impossible to find and a dial refinish is obvious
if the one you find has all that then it can be restored to perfection

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Incoming 214 Railroad Approved.

Sorry about the quality of the picture. "Hope you can help" Do the hands and dial look original ? when I receive the watch I will post better pics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Incoming 214 Railroad Approved.

Sorry about the quality of the picture. "Hope you can help" Do the hands and dial look original ? when I receive the watch I will post better pics.

l

oliverb "N2" Accutron Railroad Approved

peter-g
The hands on yours are not correct for a railway dial with inner 24hr numbering, note that the hour hand is shorter/stubbier as in ollies watch. Easy to see with them next to each other.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
peter-g
The hands on yours are not correct for a railway dial with inner 24hr numbering, note that the hour hand is shorter/stubbier as in ollies watch. Easy to see with them next to each other.
Thanks for this info. Oh, well, I guess I can live with a longer hour hand.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts