WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the year is about over lets see what we purchased in 2007.Remember this thread is useless without your photos
Philip Admirale Blue Dial 44mm

Philip Admirale Black Dial Crocodile 44mm

Tag Heuer Aquagraph

Tag Heuer Aquaracer

Invicta Reserve Speedway Gunmetal,Subaqua Noma 111 V7751,Ocean Ghost Diamond Meteorite Gunmetal

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

I know I missed a few but that is life.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
@casey: went a little CRAZY, did we?!

Here are mine, in order, and all within a three-month period (hence my self-imposed watch embargo):001_rolleyes:
Zodiac Sea Dragon

Tissot XXL Chrono

Zodiac Oceanaire

Fossil Arkitekt Aut-O-Matic

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Koi your collection always amazes me from Patek to Croton there is definitely
no snob in your collection have a safe and Happy New Year:thumbup1::thumb up:

AO yes I think I will follow you in the self imposed embargo.Zodiac,Tissot and
Fossil:thumbup::thumbup1:Have a safe and Happy New Year

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
2007 Acquisitions

Not necessarily in this order.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
Here are the three which were purchased and stayed in the collection in 2007:

My 1680 Submariner:

My Breitling Navitimer:

And my Bond Seamaster:

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is going to be a long and somewhat convoluted post, but hopefully you can bear with me. :T

With one exception, every watch I own was purchased during this past year. The lone exception is the first one shown below - a $18 Timex that I bought 10-15 years ago. In 2007, however, two things happened; first I turned 50, and second, I discovered watches. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:

The point about turning 50 is only relevant because I'm at a point in my life where I enjoy doing crazy things like driving the entire 2,400 mile length of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, California, then turning around and driving back again. Or like starting to ride motorcycles. Or learning guitar. Or restoring a 1967 Firebird convertible. Anyway, you get the idea.

About this time last year, I learned that a friend of mine collects watches, and wondered what in the world would attract someone to horological pursuits. I'm always fascinated by unusual hobbies and attractions; so being a somewhat cerebral kind of guy, I decided that I would learn something about watches so I could better understand the attraction.

Let me say that when I first began, I knew absolutely nothing about watches, and still probably know less than anyone else on this forum. If you had asked me to name every watch brand I knew at the time, I probably could have named Timex, Citizen, Seiko and Rolex. I could have told you that a Timex was cheap, a Rolex expensive, and Seiko and Citizen somewhere in-between. That's it. I didn't even know what expensive meant when it came to watches. I sure do now, though. :scared:

So I began reading about watches, visiting Internet sites, lurking on forums, and so on, ultimately winding up here today. If I haven't put you to sleep yet, I'll continue my story with pictures interspersed. Some of my watches were purchased new, others used, and most were bought online.

The first picture is my only non-2007 watch - the infamous Timex Indiglo. The watch still works very well, though it just sits unceremoniously on my shelf with zero wrist time since my first new purchase.

My first 2007 purchase was primarily an experiment. I really like the way bracelets look, but I'm not a jewelry kind of guy, so I was concerned that a watch with a bracelet would be too uncomfortable for me to wear. I was walking through a Dillard's store and stopped by the watch counter. I found an inexpensive Kenneth Cole watch that I thought would make a good test.

So this Kenneth Cole, which now gets very little wrist time, was my first official 2007 watch purchase.

I found the bracelet to be extremely comfortable, so I knew that I could buy more expensive watches without worrying too much about comfort. During my online explorations into watches I became enamored with the Movado museum-style dials and purchased this Esperanza:

In quick succession came a Tag Heuer 2000 Exclusive and three more Movados, including one for my wife.

By this time I was hooked. I don't have to explain it further to any of you!:T:T:T

This one was my first automatic...:001_wub:

Although I really like this watch, I should have held out for the 2531.80 instead of the 2541.80. Quartz is fine, but I really do prefer a mechanical movement. It was just too good to pass up at the time.

I actually like this Oris better now than when I bought it.

I like two tone watches, and this Raymond Weil speaks to me.

Next to my Kenneth Cole, this Seiko is the cheapest watch I bought this year. It really smiles at me though.:001_smile:

Ball watches are awesome!!!

It wasn't until I bought my Breitling that I could finally keep straight the difference between a chronometer and a chronograph. :blink:

This Tag Heuer Searacer doesn't photograph well, but the blue dial (which I'm also a sucker for) is stunning.

OK. This watch is so freakin' ugly that it's actually cute. My 13 year old daughter asks why I have a grandfather clock on my wrist! I can't even begin to tell you why I like it, but I do. :thumbup1:

Here is my last purchase of the year...

So what's on tap for 2008? Two for sure are a brand new Rolex Yachtmaster and the WTF Edouard Lauzieres that is being discussed elsewhere on this forum. And who knows what else will smile at me? I do know that my wish list extends into the double digits, and grows by two for every one I buy. :drool::drool:

If you've managed to follow the thread this far I just want to say thank you to everyone who contributes to WTF. One wonderful benefit of still being so woefully ignorant about watches is that I learn something every single time I visit this site. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and passion with me.

May all your dreams come true in 2008!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
BondandBigM you have one fine collection 007 would be proud of you.Welcome to the
Forum.Wear them all in great health and a safe and happy New Year to you and the family.Barry

John those are some WOW purchases I just wish for 2008 one of those.I also wanted to thank you for allowing us in YOUR HOUSE.Your Forum is a pleasure
to be a member of.Have a wonderful New Year and a safe one to you and your family.Barry

BlueridgeMike hellow and that is one fine collection you put together this year.I think you have it wrong we are going to have to learn from you.Have a great New Year to you and the family and be safe.Barry

Banned thanks for the compliment and you and the family have a safe and Happy New Year. Barry

To all the members,moderators and our owner and of coarse all the families have a safe and Happy New Year and thanks for putting up with us.Barry

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
BondandBigM you have one fine collection 007 would be proud of you.Welcome to the
Forum.Wear them all in great health and a safe and happy New Year to you and the family.Barry

John those are some WOW purchases I just wish for 2008 one of those.I also wanted to thank you for allowing us in YOUR HOUSE.Your Forum is a pleasure
to be a member of.Have a wonderful New Year and a safe one to you and your family.Barry

BlueridgeMike hellow and that is one fine collection you put together this year.I think you have it wrong we are going to have to learn from you.Have a great New Year to you and the family and be safe.Barry

Banned thanks for the compliment and you and the family have a safe and Happy New Year. Barry

To all the members,moderators and our owner and of coarse all the families have a safe and Happy New Year and thanks for putting up with us.Barry
Thanks Casey!! :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts