WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Lazarbel Cow & 'Roo Mailed!

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  timbo 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so the "strap is in the mail," but I'm anxious about the fit.

Laz reports that his 8-8.25" wrist is a little larger than "regular strap" but somewhat smaller than "large strap."

I made the strap larger than "regular," but not a full-blown "large," but I'm worried that this strap is going to end up being on the smallish side for Laz. An eight inch wrist, according to the strap charts, equates to a man about 6'8" tall! :scared:

Anyway, when I got around to punching this baby -- and using Laz's sizing guidelines after the strap was mounted on the SuperCombat case -- I discovered that Laz will have to wear the strap on either the second-to-the-last, or the last hole. There will still be plenty of strap tail to secure in the "keeper," but that's not an ideal fit.

:cursing:

Oh, well, I'll make the strap a definite LARGE, next time! :001_rolleyes:

NOTE TO LAZ!

This is a VERY thick, very stiff strap! Either you're going to break it in, or it's going to break you in, but it will NEVER wear out. :lol: I tried it on my wrist and it feels very comfortable, but it feels like a "cuff," more so than a conventional leather strap. I have several straps like this, and I like them, but they're not for everyone, I'm sure. It's kinda like having a saddle cinched onto your forearm -- giddyup, pardna! :lol:

No, it'll be fine, but please just wear it for a couple of hours (okay, days) before you take it off and stick it in a drawer. When you first put it on, it will NOT want to conform to the shape of your wrist, but it will after a couple hours (weeks, months).

See less See more
#2 ·
Geez! It's a beauty, Ladd. I don't know how to thank you, but I'll come up with something. Gotta play it forward.

Almost 6'2", 190lb. Thin with big bones. Lean and mean, butt kicking machine. I'm accustomed to straps buckled out on the end. All OEM straps are like that for me. If I have more than one hole left, it doesn't appear normal. That's the primary reason I've always worn bracelets and NATOs.

The very first leather strap I bought was a few months ago from Chris; one of the SC B OEM. It buckles in the last or next to last hole, depending. I remove the second keeper and truck right on. The second one I bought was that antique bronze bund strap I posted on the forum for my upcoming bronze. It just happens to be a bit longer.

That's it, except for another SC B strap and a really nice Di-Modell, both gifts from that terrible man, sidecross. Oh yeah, the Di-Modell just happened to have been attached to an A6 when he gave it to me. I suppose he didn't know how to remove the Di-Modell from the A6, so he just gave me the watch as well. But that's another story, one I was to "never mention to anyone". Oh well......

Can't wait to get the strap. Gonna be out of town from tomorrow until Sunday, but doesn't matter since it's posted to my Ma's house. Same with Chris - I have all important stuff and packages mailed to her. Makes for a couple extra anxious days sometimes before I can get over there, but mailbox theft here is rampant, and not just mailbox theft - all theft. Lots of homeless folks wandering Tampa. Probably not a big deal where you are. Homeless and ten feet of snow are somehow mutually exclusive.

I'll break it in, no problem. I'll put one of my Russian beaters on it and wear it to work. Everything here at work is so irritating the strap will go unnoticed. Besides that, I'll sit around and flex it. I fidget with something in my hands all the time. I carry a grip ball so I don't look like a spring about to uncoil. Can't sit still. Luckily, me and the tiny redhead are both wired, so we don't worry each other.

Thanks again, Ladd. You're the man.

#3 ·
That's it, except for another SC B strap and a really nice Di-Modell, both gifts from that terrible man, sidecross. Oh yeah, the Di-Modell just happened to have been attached to an A6 when he gave it to me. I suppose he didn't know how to remove the Di-Modell from the A6, so he just gave me the watch as well. But that's another story, one I was to "never mention to anyone". Oh well......
Yes, I thought you might like the Di-Modell strap, but it was not because I do not change straps and bracelets.

In fact I am constantly switching straps and bracelets. :cool1:

#4 · (Edited)
I have had great success soaking new straps in lexol for 15 min, wiping off excess, install and wear until dry. I got the idea from a leather smith who made belts.

But be careful with straps that have different color stitching like this one because tanning and/or polish can bleed into the stitching.

---

#5 ·
I have had great success soaking new straps in lexol for 15 min, wiping off excess, install and wear until dry. I got the idea from a leather smith who made belts.

But be careful with straps that have different color stitching like this one because tanning and/or polish can bleed into the stitching. [/url]
Yeah, especially with "vegi-tanned leather" (leather tanned using vegetable extracts, "the old fashioned way," instead of chemicals, like "chrome-tanned") you have to be careful about the strap stain running. I sealed Laz' strap with three coats of a water-based finish, but, still, I'd be nervous about soaking the leather in Lexol for that amount of time. It's probably great for the leather, but I'd be worried that the white linen thread would be stained and turn dingy.

The hardest strap to make is the one that features a pure white organic thread (like Irish linen) being pulled through a piece of leather that's been stained pure black. Even though the thread is waxed to help keep it stronger and more stain-reistant, white thread WILL stain. Part of the beauty of a white on jet-black strap is the graphic quality of the high contrast, so keeping the white thread clean and white makes a big difference. Cleaning the thread, after it becomes dingy, is problematic, since anything strong enough to clean the thread (e.g., bleaching agents) is also not particularly good for fine leathers. "Oxiclean is about the safest bet -- diluted, of course.

#9 ·
I bet veg tanned leather makes for an incredibly comfortable strap.
I love these very thick straps, for a change of pace, but they're not for everybody, and they're probably not even for every day. This is definitely like wearing a cuff instead of a strap. I really love the feeling, but it takes some getting used to. I guess it's sort of like breaking in a baseball glove, but it's a unique look. I've had quite a few people do double-takes when they see one of these monsters on my wrist, and want to handle them. I'm hoping Laz will post some wrist shots so you can get a feel for what I'm babbling about. :lol:

#10 · (Edited)
A few years ago I had a big and heavy custom that some considered a pan homage that felt uncomfortable on the thin black strap included with it. Then i got a thick heroic 18 strap for it that was pretty stiff. Not sure what the thickness was on that heroic 18. I gave it a lexol treatment and it molded to my wrist well and distributed the weight much better. If I ever get a tungsten I may seek out a thick brown veg tanned strap with black stitch or no stitch in an effort to distribute the weight of the tungsten case.

I really like the texture of some bison straps I've seen. But I have only seen them in black so far.

#11 ·
A few years ago I had a big and heavy custom that some considered a pan homage that felt uncomfortable on the thin black strap included with it. Then i got a thick heroic 18 strap for it that was pretty stiff. Not sure what the thickness was on that heroic 18. I gave it a lexol treatment and it molded to my wrist well and distributed the weight much better. If I ever get a tungsten I may seek out a thick brown veg tanned strap with black stitch or no stitch in an effort to distribute the weight of the tungsten case.

I really like the texture of this black bison.
I've got a brown pebbled cowhide that's very nice "chrome tanned" that I will post pictures of tomorrow. Hold off on emailing her, until you see this leather. Also, speaking of her (a mutual friend!), you need to edit your post and remove the link to her site. That's a forum "no-no." :eek:hmy::001_smile:

#15 ·
I've Got It In Hand!!

Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Watch accessory Gun accessory

Nice strap, Ladd. I love it.

Watch Analog watch Automotive lighting Clock Watch accessory

I am currently wearing it in the second hole from the end. As you see there is still plenty of tag end left for the retainer. It is a bit loose in this hole, but it's stiff and loose makes it manageable.

Light Camera accessory Camera lens Font Gadget

After it softens a bit, I'm sure it will be in the third hole as in this picture. Plenty of strap through the retainer. I think it's fine. Not too short at all.

Thanks Ladd. This is really nice of you. I owe you one... or two.

#16 ·
After it softens a bit, I'm sure it will be in the third hole as in this picture. Plenty of strap through the retainer. I think it's fine. Not too short at all.

Thanks Ladd. This is really nice of you. I owe you one... or two.
You don't owe me diddly. It was a gas making it. Glad it's on your wrist, Laz. I think you'll tame it, but it might take a couple of days to really start to wear comfortably. It looks DYNAMITE on that SCB1, by the way. You were right! :thumbup:

#17 ·
Every day I get complements on this strap. Everyone really likes it. I hear the 'my wrist are too small, but...' They like it too. An Air Force hottie told me, "It takes a man to wear that watch." She's trying to get me in trouble... I ain't going for it.

It's perfect, my SCB1 strap. Don't think I'll ever wear it on anything else - there is no matching bracelet - and my Ladd strap looks as if it was made for it. Duh.. it was.

Thanks again, Ladd. You're the man. You did real good.

#19 ·
Hey, thanks. I agree. With all the indices on the SCB1 dial and the stitching...it looks as if there is a theme at work. It all balances real well.

I have looked the strap over and can find no inconsistencies. The stitches are absolutely the same length and are perfectly straight. Ladd mentioned something about having 'tapered' or thinned some portion of the strap incorrectly, but it is not apparent to me.

On my wrist there are no flaws visible. From what I've seen, this strap has to be in the $175.00 - $200.00 price range. Not a bad buy for... let's see... oh yeah -- free.

If you're lucky enough to get your hands on a FREE Ladd strap, what can I say, you're lucky. I was. There won't be many more. Maybe a few, but not many. Get in line and get your pucker right.

#21 ·
I'm REALLY excited now :w00t:. So, do you reckon hot girls will hit on me, too? :drool: That's just what an old, balding, spotty, toothless, stout, near-sighted bloke like me needs! :wink: :001_rolleyes: :001_tongue:....and compared to Laz...I'm Adonis :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.