WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve seen this watch a few times over the last 2 years and each time thought I MUST HAVE ONE. When Todd at Bradystraps.com listed on his website in early January that they were doing another run that would be available in February I immediately put myself on the list. Due to problems getting the Miyota movements and then the tritium tubes things got delayed a bit but I am SO glad I waited because it was TOTALLY worth it. I give you the Bombfrog BT25 Tactical divers watch…here are the specs:

• Case - 316L stainless steel (Black IP coating), 44mm X 51mm, drilled lug holes
• Movement - Miyota 8215
• Crystal - Sapphire
• Lume - Swiss made Tritium tubes (Blue and Orange)
• Crown - Screw-down with textured finish
• Water resistance - 300 meters(984 feet!)
• Lug size - 24mm, removable screw-in bars
• Strap - NATO style with black IP coated buckle
Warranty - 2 Years manufacturer

What I like about it:
-All black IP coating makes for a sharp looking watch with a very easy to read face because of the crisp white numbers, hands and second marks on the face…same goes for the white on black on the bezel. This watch looks super STEALTHY to me.
-Nice solid weight to it...feels heavy duty without being an anchor on my wrist.
-I LOVE the Bombfrog symbol…I mean it’s got a BOMB and a skeletal FROG for pete’s sake…how can you NOT like that?
-The work Automatik spelled with a K….soooo very German….like Kraftwerk…another find product of Germany. ☺
-The tubes are plenty bright in the dark…like my other two watches with T25 tritium(Christopher Ward and Dievas) they aren’t glowing like a supernova but they are VERY easy to see and read in the dark. There is a tube on the bezel as well underneath metal arrow…very nice touch.
-The two tone second hand…black on the bottom on and white on top…very subtle but cool detail that keeps catching my eye.
-The unidirectional bezel clicks solid and smooth…not hard to move but definitely no play in it either.
-Miyota movement is keeping great time just like all my other watches with Miyota movements in them. ☺
- The back of the watch is solid and has the usual watch specifications and another cool Bombfrog picture…it was REALLY hard to get a good pic of this because it’s fairly dark and there’s not much contrast…again, nice and stealthy. ☺

The only thing I didn’t like:
-The NATO band it came on…sorry…I know a lot of folks are fans of NATO style bands but I am most definitely not one of them. I took it off and immediately put on this rubber dive band from Panatime and I think it looks a 1000X better.( Original P Style Rubber Diver Strap 115/75 24/22). It does tend to attract dust as you can see in some of the photos but I’m ok with that.

I got some really great info last year from another watch site on this watch. From that link I found the following info from a member named Gerome(thank you sir!) about the owner of the company who makes these watches….VERY cool stuff and it just makes the watch that much more interesting to me.
“The Bombfrog owner is a highly trained SF German Minentaucher (German Navy EOD Technician) with Kampfschwimmer (German Navy SEAL) background. He is still in the military and he is actually instructor to train and prepare our US Navy EOD Technicians right before they deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan. He is serving at the EOD training and evaluation unit two in Virginia Beach.
Mr. Assman ( I thought this is a fake name for SF, but his name is right and the coolest I’ve ever seen!) ***Seinfeld is calling!***

I emailed Mr. Assman and asked him about the meaning of BOMBFROG and he wrote me a very nice letter back. He explained that he is serving in the German Navy since 17 years now and the he is delivering a lot of stuff to SF units, GSG9, police, armed forces and bomb squads all over Europe. When he was thinking about a company name for his wife’s business he decided to use the BOMB as the sign for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and the cool skeleton FROG as his relationship to water. He is an amphibious operating peace of navy diver all his life.
He tested this BT 25 watch during all kind of dirty, high, deep and dangerous EOD work.”

All in all I’ve very happy with this one…love the tactical diver look and how rugged it feels and operates…the bezel moves smoothly and positively through it’s range. If you were on the fence on this one get off and get yourself one…you won’t regret it. On to the pics!

Lume Shot

Lume shot with my Bombfrog, Christopher Ward C600 and Dievas Zeta Phantom

As always thanks for looking,
Shawn

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah...this one definitely is a cool addition. Was awesome getting confused looks from people at work when I told them it was a Bombfrog. ha ha. :biggrin:

-Shawn

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love the Bombfrog!!!! Thanks for a great review. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind...do you know if it is 904 or 316 steel? I've read elsewhere that it is 904L...does your literature say anything about that? Also I've seen some confusion about the lug width. I've seen both 22 and 24 mm listed.I'm pretty sure it is 24mm but if possible would you confirm?

i have one of these on order and I can't wait for it to get here. It is being held up by the bombfrog t-shirts I ordered for my daughters, who also love the logo. Hopefully it will be here next week!!!!

I am trying to find alternative bands for it. I like the Nato just fine and your rubber looks good, but i am looking for maybe a pvd oyster bracelet or maybe a black smooth leather with gray or white stitch... I'm going to wait until it arrives before I pick something up. PS> I will definitely be getting an OD ZULU with low light hardware....

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide!

Dan

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the Bombfrog!!!! Thanks for a great review. A couple of quick questions if you don't mind...do you know if it is 904 or 316 steel? I've read elsewhere that it is 904L...does your literature say anything about that? Also I've seen some confusion about the lug width. I've seen both 22 and 24 mm listed.I'm pretty sure it is 24mm but if possible would you confirm?

i have one of these on order and I can't wait for it to get here. It is being held up by the bombfrog t-shirts I ordered for my daughters, who also love the logo. Hopefully it will be here next week!!!!

I am trying to find alternative bands for it. I like the Nato just fine and your rubber looks good, but i am looking for maybe a pvd oyster bracelet or maybe a black smooth leather with gray or white stitch... I'm going to wait until it arrives before I pick something up. PS> I will definitely be getting an OD ZULU with low light hardware....

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide!

Dan
Congrats Dan...you won't be disappointed. It's 904L steel as far as I know. The lugth width is definitely 24MM....I had to confirm with Todd on that because it did change from the last version. And the strap I put on there is definitely 24MM. I may get a nice leather band for this one too...Panatime is having a sale this weekend so you should definitely check them out. Post pics when you get it and wear it in good health.

Shawn

·
Registered
217 Posts
Congrats Dan...you won't be disappointed. It's 904L steel as far as I know. The lugth width is definitely 24MM....I had to confirm with Todd on that because it did change from the last version. And the strap I put on there is definitely 24MM. I may get a nice leather band for this one too...Panatime is having a sale this weekend so you should definitely check them out. Post pics when you get it and wear it in good health.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn! I have a Panatime waiting for it. But i think a baseball glove with black sides and stitching may be really col on this watch....

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
There's actually quite a lot of information available out there on 904L steel and nickel allergies.

Reactions: Ballmoose

·
Registered
217 Posts
Because the nickel content is twice as high as 304 or 316 stainless, which some people already react to.

Hey sorry about that, I meant "how would I know if I were allergic?", not "how would you know about that" :blushing:

That's what I get for typing quickly before I walked away from the computer yesterday....

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Unless you were to go in and get tested, I would think the only way you would know is by exposure.

Do you get a rash or irritation from stainless bracelets or case backs?

If you have a severe allergy, you should stick to titanium, plastic, or ceramic

·
Registered
217 Posts
Unless you were to go in and get tested, I would think the only way you would know is by exposure.

Do you get a rash or irritation from stainless bracelets or case backs?

If you have a severe allergy, you should stick to titanium, plastic, or ceramic
Cool thanks. No reaction to regular SS for me so hopefully I'll be good!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sorry, my budget doesn't extend into precious metals so I never think of them! As mentioned above, you will have be careful of the alloying, but most precious metals are quite inert - especially pure gold and platinum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.