WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Greetings TDH:

I saw you had one post, so I am not sure if you are new, or coming over from the 'old' forum, aka archive. If you are new, WELCOME TO WTF!!!! :)

If you are coming back over, please look at the link in my signature (see below) on how to get your status back.

As far as your question, I do not have an answer; but, no worries. Sit tight, there are some amazing experts here who can answer your question!!

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that the laser etched crown on my old LV Sub replacement crystal was a lot more noticeable than the crown on my new LV and SD - both with the original crystals.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The laser etch crystal came in in 2001. But it was not introduced immediately in all models.. There was some carry-over, especially in the sport line..

I have never seen a different size in all those I have seen.. Also, I have 4 with the etching, all the same size, and a 2001 TT Sub without..

:cool1:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
On my LV (Z series) I can hardly noticed it, unless the light hits it at a certain angle. Quite ingenious on how this works. I can't imagine anyone with a white face dial trying to find it on their watch.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I actually found it to be approximately the same size between gentlemen and ladies models as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have Z-series Sub, SD and Air-King, all with crown, all the same size. My 1991 GMT II 16710 also has it, so if LarryD is correct my GMT may have a service replacement crystal to go along with the new bezel.
I can find it fine on the Sub, SD and GMT all black-dial, the AK with silver-dial is a little harder!
I'm almost embarrased to admit that my otherwise fablous AD admitted to me the other day that they had never seen it!
:thumbup:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I have a TT Submariner Serti, K serial# and it does not have it.
MedcinMN:

I just noticed you had less than 10 posts, so let me welcome you to WTF!!!!

No doubt you will find this board quite interesting, as we have multiple forums, each with its own bunch of characters.

Have you seen our FAQ yet? http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/f...splay.php?f=12

Take about 30 seconds to read, and explains the forum.

If you are intersted in posting pictures, and we love to post here, check out Mr. Houston's Quick and Easy way to post. Guaranteed Success!!

POSTING PICS

Posting pictures is very easy. Here's what you do -

1. Register with a picture host like photobucket.com
This is a free service for up to 1,000 images.

2. Once registered, use the choose or browse function on your photobucket homepage to locate the image you wish to post, from your hard drive

PLEASE REMEMBER to set the maximum size of the image
800 x 600 is best
Anything else would make viewing and accessing the page for users difficult.

3. Click SELECT and then UPLOAD

4. Once uploaded, simply copy the fourth option under each image on your photobucket homepage and paste it into the body of your text here. This fourth link is the Image Tag.

If you have any questions at all, you have a few options too:

Just post a thread and ask! We answer a wide range here and everyone is willing to help anyone out. For stuff not covered by watches, you can post in the Community Forum.

You can also send an Administrator/Moderator a PM (Private Message) to do that, just click on the person's name, and then select private message.

So, put your seat back in an upright position, tray back in place, and strap yourself in and enjoy WTF!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have Z-series Sub, SD and Air-King, all with crown, all the same size. My 1991 GMT II 16710 also has it, so if LarryD is correct my GMT may have a service replacement crystal to go along with the new bezel.
Pauleypaul,

If you have a replacement crystal, look closely at the bottom of the crown.

There should be an S etched inside the oval... (S for service replacement)

:cool1:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well i'll be dipped!
Sure enough there's an S in the bottom of the coronet.
WTF guys rule! Thanks a million Larry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmm...i have an M series submariner I just picked up this weekend. I don't see any crown ANYWHERE near 6 o'clock on the crystal.

anyone with some insight...? obviously some will think its fake? this was a gift btw.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Colorless,

it's extremely hard to see with the naked eye. The best way is to angle it and reflect light, then pivot the watch in the glare back & forth until you see it. It may take some time, it's only about a millimeter or 2 in size.... If you've got a 5x loupe, you'll find it much easier that way....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try shining a torch/flashlight (depending on what side of the pond you are;))
into the crystal at the 12 o'clock position and tilt the whole face away from you such that you are looking towards the torch from the 6 o'clock position, it seems that the light refracts though the crystal and can highlight the etching that is on the lower face of the crystal....It works well on mt SD but that may be because the crystal is thicker and slightly proud of the bezel.

HTH

Portzed

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my LV (Z series) I can hardly noticed it, unless the light hits it at a certain angle. Quite ingenious on how this works. I can't imagine anyone with a white face dial trying to find it on their watch.
Timefinder,

I could never manage to find a crown on my SS/PT Yacht Master. Until .. my 8 year old son bought himself a "Crime Scene Investigator" kit, which contained a small plastic magnifying glass... Well, I couldn't pass that up.

So now I found it!! :biggrin: I showed him where to look and he found it too.

Steve B.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Timefinder,

I could never manage to find a crown on my SS/PT Yacht Master. Until .. my 8 year old son bought himself a "Crime Scene Investigator" kit, which contained a small plastic magnifying glass... Well, I couldn't pass that up.

So now I found it!! :biggrin: I showed him where to look and he found it too.

Steve B.
It took me a long time to find the crown on my M series GMTIIC. I have a loupe but it was just too hard to get enough light on the crystal with my big head & loupe in the way. I finally grabbed a magnifying glass from my son's room and located it. The magnifying glass set me back a bit and allowed more light in.

Just a tip...rummage through your kids toys...that'll help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts