WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JH's book says that the Lalo was rumored to have been raised in Panama. In another interview when asked why he located the company in Hollywood, FL he stated he was raised there.

Just wondering where he gets his accent from?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Foghorn! You're just a wealth of info. :biggrin:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
The Lalo was, indeed, born in Panama and moved to south Florida as a teenager.
During a show on snbc last weekend, he said English is his third language. He obviously speaks Spanish, but I detect a bit of Israeli in his accent. But I can't confirm that.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
As I have mentioned previously, on the old forum, I had an Israeli student who is a watch collector and when he first saw EL on TV, immediately thought that he was from Israel because of his accent.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmmm. Anyone remember the old Steve Martin smash hit "King Tut"?

Born in Panama, moved to Florida, King Lalo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have read where Eyal was born in Panama and raised in Florida, but he states his family is Swiss. As to his accent, it does not sound at all Swiss. He may have picked up his accent from being raised around the Hispanic community in South Florida. However, if there is an Israeli connection it wouldn't be a surprise, after all 'Eyal' is a Hebrew name and he has stated that he's related to Misha Blum Coifman who founded Invicta. As for the surname 'Lalo', it's not a very common name, but it is of Latin origin and appears as a surname among Sephardim (Jews of Spanish descent). In Spanish, 'Lalo' is also a nickname for Eduardo.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
http://www.timezone.com/library/tzints/tzints0014

History changes with time..... He forgot the part where his grandmother "invented the Russian Diver".

A few excerpts...............

RP: And your price point is what?

EL: At around $110 and $115. I've seen them on Ashford for $99 on special. We have them on network TV for $189.

RP: Has the TV been very good for you?

EL: Yes, it's been very good. Good advertising and keeping the price up. We don't control our dealers as to how much they can discount. But, if we see anybody selling at an inflated price point, we will stop them.

RP: Do you publish a suggested retail price?

EL: We let the market find its own price point.

RP: Doesn't your catalog have prices listed?

EL: Yes, we have retail prices printed and we use them. Most of our dealers use them as a base for discount. We're a discounted line. They will sell them at 30%, 40% or 50% off everyday.

RP: How would you describe a typical retail store that carries your line?

EL: They are owner operated and have three locations. They usually carry ten different watch brands and we'll be their brand that they can at least make some money on. Better profit and better volume. When you're at our price range, there's a lot more buyers out there than for the more expensive watches, so you'll sell more volume. We are not competing with high end watches. Look, we can show you quality time pieces that we sell in Latin America. You wouldn't believe the prices that we sell them at. I'll show you now. It's a different brand of watches that we produce that we sell for $5 or $6.

RP: Where are you headquartered?

EL: In South Florida. But I travel often to Japan, and we also have offices in Hong Kong where we have some production for the low end. There's a lot of traveling. Two weeks out of the month, I'm out of the house.

RP: When you say you are quality, master watch makers, do you mean your company buys movement kits and you assemble them yourself? Or do you buy a finished products?

EL: We buy finished movements, but we actually make the components.

RP: Where is all this being done?

EL: Everything is made in Japan, the cases and the automatic movements.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
koi,

I traded emails with one of our sponsors and I asked why the price of an Invicta watch had gone up and he said that Invicta told him the price listing for the watch on his website was TOO LOW and insisted he raise it to their minimum price point. :eek:

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
I have read where Eyal was born in Panama and raised in Florida, but he states is family is Swiss. As to his accent, it does not sound at all Swiss. He may have picked up his accent from being raised around the Hispanic community in South Florida. However, if there is an Israeli connection it wouldn't be a surprise, after all Eyal is a Hebrew name and he has stated that he's related to Misha Blum Coifman who founded Invicta. As for the surname 'Lalo', it's not a very common name, but it is of Latin origin and appears as a surname among Sephardim (Jews of Spanish descent). In Spanish, Lalo is also a nickname for Eduardo.
Very interesting, viper. Thanks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks people. I seriously appreciate the responses.

Dave

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Um, koi, when did Hong Kong become part of Japan? I mean since World War 2.

Hey, that was his answer not mine
:eek:hmy:

Interesting point though is that the Japanese have facilities in China, Vietnam and elsewhere in SE Asia. All of their items still say " made in Japan. Does anyone but me remember when Made in Japan was a joke?:w00t:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
koi,

I traded emails with one of our sponsors and I asked why the price of an Invicta watch had gone up and he said that Invicta told him the price listing for the watch on his website was TOO LOW and insisted he raise it to their minimum price point. :eek:

And then it will be offered as either a Sunday Run or seen at shopnbc at a large discount off or "retail".

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts