WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed today by Rolex service that a diamond dial that I purchases almost 20 years ago was not Rolex. Needless to say I was stunned and wonder how this watch could have been serviced several times since then with no issue.

What are the most economical options for replacing this dial and retuning this watch to Rolex specifications?

Rolex Datejust 26mm lady's

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Because it costs you nothing, or very little for another opinion. The alternative is going to be much more expensive as you will be looking for an authentic, twenty year old, Rolex diamond dial. It may be cost prohibitive to do so.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
What are the most economical options for replacing this dial and retuning this watch to Rolex specifications?

Rolex Datejust 26mm lady's
Unfortunately since Rolex controls the dial supply chain fiercely, you have few options. The only 2 options are to find a Rolex-authorized service place to replace the dial or have Rolex do it. Though since the dial is a swapped item I'm not sure a Rolex-authorized service store would be able to get the dial without sending back another 'valid' dial. Keep in mind Rolex will keep the old dial if it's counterfeit as they have a legal right to confiscate a fake dial. Actually since a dial is a 'swap' item they'll keep it regardless of whether it's fake or real as they don't allow customers to keep the old dials. The only difference is you'll pay more without the 'real' dial as you do get credit for the old dial in a dial swap (kind of like a core charge for a battery replacement in a car).

However, I'd agree with Mr Rick and get a 2nd opinion. Send the watch to a different Rolex service center and see what they say. if they also say it's fake, then I'd bring up the fact they've serviced it X number of times and ask how come this never came up before? Hopefully you have 1) pictures from the past proving the watch has not be modified and 2) the receipts from those previous servicings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another thing to consider when sending a watch to a Rolex Service Center is that unless the watch is in original configuration they will not work on it. Only after you give permission for RUSA to make the changes they deem should be done will work start on your watch. The problem is that even if all the current parts are genuine Rolex, when RUSA makes a change you do not get back any of the parts.

I had sent my mother's Tudor in for servicing to RUSA-Dallas and the rep. said that although the current dial was a genuine Rolex dial, it was not original to the watch and they would have to replace the dial with another, and keep the old one, before servicing would begin. This was a watch my father gave as a gift to my mother when he retired over 25 years ago, and it was given to her from the company he worked for. The original dial was supposed to be a plain-Jane something or other and it was upgraded to a fancier, more beautiful, dial.

I understand the Rolex policy of using only genuine parts, but I disagree with having to give up genuine parts so that a watch can be made "original" again. So, I looked around and sent it to Rikki (one of the members here) for servicing, thereby retaining the originality of the watch as we have known it all these years - and also keeping the sentimental value intact.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I clarified with Rikki what the procedure is when he receives a watch with a dial different from what the watch came originally came with. Rik says that as long as the parts on the timepiece are genuine Rolex, then he can work on the watch without having to make changes. If, however, any parts are non-genuine then, as a Rolex-certified technician, he must remove the non-genuine parts before commencing work.

So, that's why my mother's Tudor with the non-original-but-still-Tudor dial can be sent to Rik for servicing without needing to be changed. Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.