WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I am very new to the scene of Rolex watches and decided a while ago to buy my wife a watch for her birthday. Ive looked around a couple of forums and done some back ground reading, but its still scary putting down a deposit. Ive found a shop pretty close and it seems honest.

I have seen the below watch and just after feedback, does the condition look good and the price seem reasonable? It was originally £2,950 and they reduced it to £2,750. It has original paper work. It looks like a nice example.

I appreciate its hard to give feedback based on a photo taken from my mobile, I guess i just want reassurance the price is in the right kinda range. Ive had a look around and the prices vary so much! The watch is very nice and quite classy looking.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
It looks legit, assuming the dial is an ORIGINAL Rolex dial and not a remake or worse fake dial with fake diamonds. If it is, Rolex will NOT service the watch, even if everything else is real & legit until you replace the dial with a Rolex OEM dial (can be over $1K). So I'd ask the buyer for a guarantee (in writing) everything is Rolex original. if he won't I'd walk. If he does, spend the $100 to have Rolex look it over and verify. Another way to tell is if he has the original paperwork and warranty card it should say on it it's a diamond dial. Keep in mind if it doesn't it doesn't mean the dials fake as Rolex will install a diamond dial after the fact for a fee. But Rolex should have record of that service by it's serial number.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott D,

Some great advice and I will give them a call tomorrow, I've given it a couple of days and am pretty close to putting down a deposit. I've also heard some reassuring feedback about the retailer.

Cheers

It looks legit, assuming the dial is an ORIGINAL Rolex dial and not a remake or worse fake dial with fake diamonds. If it is, Rolex will NOT service the watch, even if everything else is real & legit until you replace the dial with a Rolex OEM dial (can be over $1K). So I'd ask the buyer for a guarantee (in writing) everything is Rolex original. if he won't I'd walk. If he does, spend the $100 to have Rolex look it over and verify. Another way to tell is if he has the original paperwork and warranty card it should say on it it's a diamond dial. Keep in mind if it doesn't it doesn't mean the dials fake as Rolex will install a diamond dial after the fact for a fee. But Rolex should have record of that service by it's serial number.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again..

So here are some more details.

The watch is 1984 and comes with full box and documentation.

The dial is original however has been refinished by an aftermarket company. It has just been serviced and cleaned since I saw it.

Now the price seems very reasonable and I guess reflects the refinished aspect. Can you tell me is it such a bad thing to have a refinished dial? Obviously I would like to have everything 100% Rolex but ive seen so many Rolex with aftermarket and custom dials etc. Will it have a big impact on its future value?

Its priced at £2,750 which is pretty much at the max of my budget at present.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
The refinished dial wouldn't bother me if it's truly original. Some guys will see a refinished dial as bad, but as long as the original dial is authentic, I have no problem with it. I guess the primary questions I'd have (and the papers will help you determine this) are:

Were the diamonds added at the refurbish or were they on the original dial? If the diamonds are original than (to me) the refurb doesn't matter since Rolex would still service the watch if you ever sent it to them and it's all authentic parts. If the diamonds were added aftermarket you may have a hard time getting Rolex to service the watch as they may view it as a modified "frankenwatch' at best, partly fake at worst. This in itself may not be a big issue since you can probably find many Rolex-authorized service places that'll be just as good and far less expensive than rolex is. But it's still a consideration. Since you have the papers you should be able to tell if the diamonds were original as diamond dials are noted in the 'dial' part of the papers (at least they have been for many years, so hopefully that was true in '84.

Second question is who serviced the watch recently? If it was Rolex, then the above dial question is really answered definitively and I think you're good to go. But GET PROOF on who serviced it via a service receipt or something and if they can't provide it assume it's NOT been serviced unless they're willing to give you a written guarantee of service with a warranty of at least 6 months. I bought a preowned DJ for my wife from a (what I was told was by several people here) a reputable dealer and was told by the dealer it was just serviced by Rolex. Watch was not running great after a few days, so I called the dealer to get the paperwork on the service so I can have it redone. He then told me he didn't have the paperwork on the service and he was just told by the person he'd taken the watch from it was just serviced by Rolex. What kind of idiot dealer just takes the word of a customer trying to sell them something that it was serviced and worst repeats that unfounded rumor to their customer as fact? :confused1: :cursing: So it cost me $250 to have it serviced less than 2 weeks after I'd bought it and about 2 months of time. If he cannot provide service receipts assume you'll need to have the watch overhauled within the next few months and budget it in.

If all that is answered to your satisfaction, then it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :thumbup1:

If you get it, be sure to post some new pics of it once you have it on your wrist! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scott

I got the impression that the diamonds were fitted afterwards but I will call them to check again. I do recall him saying that if the dial was refinished by Rolex it would have costs £4,000 so that's why many people went for the after market option.

They also repair and service watches there and I believe they are just servicing the watch now.

The watch is £2,750 / $4,435.48 so does that sound reasonable for a watch with an after market dial? I guess for a watch this age its very likely that over the years it will have some modification. I did want 100 % genuine however I think I would need to double my budget and that's not an option.

Either way its a beautiful watch. Not sure how much i'm concerned about getting it serviced by Rolex. If i was buying a £10k watch then id almost certainly want 100% genuine but at this price i'm not so sure..

Hmmm choices!

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.