WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has started Taikwando and loving it. I am pleasantly surprised at the focus he is showing during the training sessions and how much he is enjoying it. I would like to get some good Kung Fu movies to watch with him and am looking for suggestions. Something to bear in mind: he is only 6, so must be PG or better, so some of the classic Bruce Lee movies are out.

We already have watched Kung Fu Panda I and II, and just watched the new Karate Kid.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
Young Dragons: The Kung Fu Kids
and
The Kung Fu Kids Break Away

Available through Amazon. According to the descriptions, they sound OK. Don't let the NR and R ratings prejudice you...it's Amazon's way of doing things. These films were made in China which does not have any sort of movie rating system at all. And China is very strict about what does and does not get exported.
A customer reviewing YD:TKFK found it to be quite amusing (I have not seen either and have no idea what they are like.)

Just my 2 cents. :biggrin:

·
Registered
637 Posts
My Son did martial arts for 2 years and my suggestion is to let him spend time with the older guys. He picked up quite a bit from these guys and it kept him interested - - - they made him feel like he was welcome and could handle himself. Some years later, the hardwork payed off. He upended one of the school bullies who was 3 years older. I was glad of the fact that he had the confidence and techniques to back himself. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Young Dragons: The Kung Fu Kids
and
The Kung Fu Kids Break Away
Thanks CH, I'll have a look at those.

My Son did martial arts for 2 years and my suggestion is to let him spend time with the older guys. He picked up quite a bit from these guys and it kept him interested - - - they made him feel like he was welcome and could handle himself. Some years later, the hardwork payed off. He upended one of the school bullies who was 3 years older. I was glad of the fact that he had the confidence and techniques to back himself. Good Luck.
I agree, I think it will be good for him. Martial Arts seems a lot more structured than soccer. At soccer it is just a a dad that gets them to do some basic drills he heard about somewhere. But Martial Arts has a long history and a structured regime. At training the older kids do help and it is good so that he sees in from of him what he can achieve. I'm glad it isn't like the "bad dojo" from Karate Kid, much more positive and supportive.

I have just got a copy of the Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan. I figured Jack Chan movies might be a good place to start. Any other thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts