WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Sure there's an easier way...practice your technique on an old junk wristwatch you won't mind getting all scratched up. Or a spring bar you won't miss if it gets bent out of shape.

As for now: are you using a spring bar tool or the blade of a dull paring knife? Is there too little clearance between the lug and the bracelet's end piece? Maybe part with a 5 dollar bill and have a local watch guy do the job on this one for you?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure there's an easier way...practice your technique on an old junk wristwatch you won't mind getting all scratched up. Or a spring bar you won't miss if it gets bent out of shape.

As for now: are you using a spring bar tool or the blade of a dull paring knife? Is there too little clearance between the lug and the bracelet's end piece? Maybe part with a 5 dollar bill and have a local watch guy do the job on this one for you?
Funny thing is, even two local jewelers were left scratching their heads today. What is the point of making the change sooooo difficult. Oh, and I wrote to Hamilton and got zip in response. So far, not a fan. :confused1:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree. I recently bought a new Hamilton bracelet, and tried to take out a link. BRUAAAAH! I almost threw the **** thing against the wall!

I got a pin halfway out, and it wouldn't budge any more. I had to take it to my local watchmaker and have him remove it.
He said something about there being a collar inside the middle link to keep the pin from getting loose. There is a way to remove them and re-insert them, but he didn't tell me.

About a week later I wanted to remove the half link to make it fit better, and I used a small punch to knock the pin out, but come time to re-insert, I couldn't get the collar back in, and the pin would just slide out. I finally just used an old pin from another "normal "watch I had. Worked great.

I feel your pain brother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts