WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This stems from Tom Carey's suggestion in another thread.

How do you, if you need to, justify another watch purchase to your wife/husband?

I spent 20 years in the military. Now, for those of you who don't know, the military isn't exactly known for ridiculously high pay so, for 20 years, we watched our money carefully. Only one time did I buy what we considered an "extravagance": I bought a Rolex Date-Just from a mall jewelry store in South Carolina, on credit.

I never should've bought that watch. It was, if memory serves, about $1,100.00. The last thing an E-5 in the Navy needs is an $1,100.00 watch bought on credit. I never should've sold that thing and, yes, I kick myself daily.

Now, however, we're in a position where money is less of a concern. My wife and I both have good jobs, with attractive compensation, that we love. Money is far less a concern now than it was, say, ten years ago.

When I saw the WTF watch, I mentioned to the wife that I wanted to get it. As the words passed my lips, I was running through the litany of reasons why I should have it; mentally determining which would be the best to use for whatever level of resistance I was sure to encounter.

"Go ahead, Steve".

Huh? That was it?

Given the price, it wasn't something that I really needed to "justify". When I bought my Oris last year, it was right after quarterly bonuses were paid. While she didn't think I "needed" the watch, she was fine with me reqarding myself for working hard.

I'm not a fanatic like some of you maniacs, so I buy very few watches. Ergo, I find that I don't really have to justify a purchase.

Now, cameras? That's a completely different animal...

·
Registered
748 Posts
The cameras make money, so those are no problem.:001_tongue:

I don't buy watches all that often (less than one per year on average) but I do not compromise on the watch I finally get. I get exactly what I want, regardless of the price.

I was in love with the Planet Ocean for years before I finally put one on, and later bought one. I did a ton of research (as I always do) to be sure it was really the watch for me and when the right deal came my way, and I was in a financial position to 'dive in', I went for it.

No regrets. I avoid them like the plague.:D

I don't have a wife to justify these purchaes to, but I do have a pair of Land Rovers who both vie for every last penny I have...:cursing:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I am a widower so I do not answer to a wife anymore. When Carol was alive she let me indulge because watches are cheaper then my purchasing another car.

@ J!m,

Another land rover person on the board. Great choice in vehicles. I have a 2002 Range Rover and a new 2008 model. I do miss my old classic versions though.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
I never quibble with Mrs. Boscoe over stuff like this. It's not an issue. Ever.

However, I'd be quick to remind her chasing dream watches is lots cheaper than chasing other women. (Which can cost you half of everything you own).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never had a problem justifying a watch purchase. Since I am not married it is not an issue. However when I have girlfriends they sometimes interrogate me about my hobby and give me a little hassle. I really don’t like discussing prices which is most often the topic in these interrogations, so I usually respond with “it costs enough” and that is all the justification I need to give.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Its easy, just buy your wife a nice watch. That seems to "reset the counter" for me :-D

·
Registered
748 Posts
@ J!m,

Another land rover person on the board. Great choice in vehicles. I have a 2002 Range Rover and a new 2008 model. I do miss my old classic versions though.
Well, with the time I spend repairing them, sometimes I question that...:cursing:

Check out www.drivetheglobe.com for tons of photos, video and stories from our travels around the world, beginning in 2001 with a 2+ month trip across North Africa in an antique series II-a... Sounds cool, but I'll never do that again in a series truck.

The 110 I have now is much better suited, but just tis past weekend I was repairing it. Again.:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I tell my wife that I'm the man of the house, I have my own money, and I'll spend it how I want. Then I usually add that I have a $50 gift cert and she can consider it an early ____________ (insert occasion here) gift so I usually have no problems with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have never had to justify a watch purchase to Sue. She doesn't get the point of a watch costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, but she has never complained once. She also never says anything when I spend even more money restoring my 1967 Firebird. The only thing she has ever asked me not to do is buy a motorcycle, so I haven't. Even though I want one. Badly. :sad:

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
Never really had to justify a purchase just yet. Of course, most of the ones I buy are $450 or less. Now, if I were to get that Omega SMP ...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm single, never married, so I never have to justify any purchase with anyone.

I had a longtime girlfriend a number of years ago who couldn't understand why I needed so many guns, but it wasn't any of her business and anyone who has to ask wouldn't understand anyway.

"Oh blessed a thousand times the peasant who is born, eats and dies without anybody bothering about his affairs."--Giuseppe Verdi

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have never had to justify a watch purchase to Sue. She doesn't get the point of a watch costing hundreds or thousands of dollars, but she has never complained once. She also never says anything when I spend even more money restoring my 1967 Firebird. The only thing she has ever asked me not to do is buy a motorcycle, so I haven't. Even though I want one. Badly. :sad:

Mike, I would love to have a nickle for every mile I have put down on the parkway. You live in one of the greatest places in this country to ride a bike. If you have a friend, that by the way is not a lunatic on a motorcycle, but has a bike, get him to come over one day. After he gets there try to coax her to take a spin with him. She just may change her mind.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have not yet had to justify a purchase but I also have not spent money we did not have. My wife and I have good jobs and our pay is about equal. We share in all the expenses. I don't question her expenditures and she does not question mine. Also, getting her a gift now and then does not hurt a thing either. I saw a watch the other day that I wanted and they had the same watch for her. So, as a his/hers I picked up the two today. Bulova quartz and I did not have to break the bank. She also likes the his/her thing. So, I got mine and it did not hurt that she got hers too. And it cost her nothing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As of now, 7:23 PM EST on 1/8/08:

1. My most expensive purchase was my OM for about $167.
2. Since I've been working Saturdays, I've been having solid sales months.
3. My wife understands my addication since her father is a WIS also
4. I've deflected this issue by purchase watches as gifts for my father, brother in-law, and her
5. I only desire 3 more pieces: a Tissot auto , a yellow faced Seiko, a Zodiac

·
Registered
302 Posts
Typical Scenerio -

Wife: "Hey, is that a new watch you're wearing?"

Me: "Do you mean this old thing? I've had this one for awhile (<-- not a lie)... Don't you remember?"

Wife: "Ummm..."

Me: "By the way, have you lost weight?"

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
JUSTIFY a watch purchase??????????????
'Cuz I want it!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:crying:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mike, I would love to have a nickle for every mile I have put down on the parkway. You live in one of the greatest places in this country to ride a bike. If you have a friend, that by the way is not a lunatic on a motorcycle, but has a bike, get him to come over one day. After he gets there try to coax her to take a spin with him. She just may change her mind.
Timebender, good suggestion but she'd never get on one in the first place. Too risk averse. I'd love to get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a bike and ride forever. The Parkway is one of the borders of our county, and I have driven all 450+ miles of it at various points in time. Definitely a popular place for bikes, but even more popular is the "Tail of the Dragon" which I have never been on at all, even though it isn't all that far from my house.

The funny thing is, I own a marketing research company that specializes in automotive, motorcycle and ATV product research. I know a lot about bikes, have been to superbike and supermoto races all over the country, have been to Daytona Bike Week three out of the last four years (and am going again this year), but alas, I just don't own a bike. :sad:

What kind of Harley do you ride?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts