WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
a 168000...I was under the impression that I was buying a 16800, but it turned out to be the very rare (Or so I am told) 168000...9.7 mil, delivered to the USA in Nov. 1987 (Based on the paperwork markings).
Have been reading up on it and as with most things rolex there seems to be many opinions about this reference...
Some say it was only made for 9 months ???
It does not appear to be very popular regardless...
Any thoughts or information on the reference would be appreciated...
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Clay not that popular because of the gloss dial but..

the 168000 was a true transitional watch... The difference between the 16800 and 168000
was the quality of the stainless steel which was upgraded from grade 316 to grade 904 and with the new caliber 3135.
I agree this model at best was constructed just one year..the down side to the 168000 is that it looks no different then a 1990's to 2005 modern Sub. So besides the reference # not much is going on..For me the 16800 matte dial is the one to collect in that segment.

Arthur

The 16800 matte dial I own...It is collectable because of the different matte dial in a sapphire crystal case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All true indeed...Thank you...I just couldn't help feel that it was a nice addition to my 7 mil Matt Dial 16800...I am fascinated by the fact that it was made for such a short time...It also has a much shorter "Crown"...But then I'm sure you knew that...:laugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.