WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from this... m256wtf.jpg to this... m2510wtf.jpg will see how it dries tomorrow. :) I'd like to try and get it even darker than it looks, so probably another application is in order. Will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How did you that? ;)
Fiebing's Mink oil liquid. Saddle Soap :: Leather Conditioner :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products A blend of Mink Oil and 100% Pure Neatsfoot Oil that softens, preserves and waterproofs smooth leather.

Fwiw, some leather products, Like my chrome tanned Saddleback Leather bags... one in Dark Coffee Brown, the other in their Chestnut finish are unaffected (colorwise) by this application, but the light colored watchstarp, probably just vegetable tanned, is a perfect candidate for darkening.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just noticed that the stitching wasnt affected by the oil.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info! I just noticed that the stitching wasnt affected by the oil.
No, the stitching wasn't affected at all, but the coloring has evened out to a uniform medium/dark brown. Dry enough to wear but I won't reapply any more oil (to darken it further), as the leather's been saturated enough for now. I'd like to darken it more in a few days or weeks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oops, I think I should've quit while I was ahead... just couldn't leave well-enough alone. I tried my hand at that distressed look (Haha, Lol) ...and maybe went a bit too far. :) at least I still have a few nice straps to fall back on. This'll be my beater. :laugh: and I'm thinkin' it may beat its way into the garbage pretty soon.

·
Registered
750 Posts
^ :scared: :scared: :scared:

Lol, definitely should have left well-enough alone. The strap in post #6 looked beautiful! :crying:

·
Registered
122 Posts
any chance you can fix the pictures?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ :scared: :scared: :scared:

Lol, definitely should have left well-enough alone. The strap in post #6 looked beautiful! :crying:
#6 is dead :sad: (thanks for the compliment though) - I did a little clean up, and flipped it over. It's now a temp until the new inbound true vintage replacement arrives. :cool1:

any chance you can fix the pictures?
Pics should be viewable. They're mostly stored locally, so when my system/server is down or off (which is seldom), they don't show. ...but as long as you mentioned it, It'll be down for about a half hour tonight, sometime between 7:30 to 9:00 pm est... If YOU still can't view the pics I post... then your firewall is blocking them, (this has consistently been the case in a very few instances over the years). Please post back and let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
#6 is dead :sad: (thanks for the compliment though) - I did a little clean up, and flipped it over. It's now a temp until the new inbound true vintage replacement arrives. :cool1:

Pics should be viewable. They're mostly stored locally, so when my system/server is down or off (which is seldom), they don't show. ...but as long as you mentioned it, It'll be down for about a half hour tonight, sometime between 7:30 to 9:00 pm est... If YOU still can't view the pics I post... then your firewall is blocking them, (this has consistently been the case in a very few instances over the years). Please post back and let me know. Thanks!

I can see the pics in the first post. after that, Nada

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a shame Rob. That was a pretty nice looking strap and it looked good with the oil. Thanks for sharing, I will try to remember to let mystraps distress themselves.
Good thought. Oiling wasn't a problem. Distressing the leather was. I just went a bit too far... (I must've been in Terminator mode), :) but I don't regret the experience. To the contrary, this was a great experience for me. Theoretically, I might've stayed satisfied with how it looked in post #6, but I wanted a more worn-in look. True I overdid it... but learned from it all, and so it was all good. I learned what I shouldn't have done, and what I might've done instead. This was, and still is a thick, soft, comfortable strap... that cost me less than $25.00 including shipping. The bottom pic in post #12 is how it now appears... a uniform medium/dark brown, which in real life looks better than the photo, and (to me), far better than the worn-in original black leather strap that first came on the watch.

The BEST part is that as a consequence of this episode... I went in search of, located, and purchased a really sweet looking, true vintage strap (at a fine price)... That I know is going to look GREAT on this M25. Can't wait to get it. ...and besides, I've a few other nice straps... this was just an experiment, and a cheap learning experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts