WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, let me say that I am very pleased with my two LTs, an M20 and an M57. The Tungsten is my casual wear watch at home and the M57 is my work watch I use on the flight deck.

I think the the M20 Tungsten is my favorite watch of all time. I love this watch! I was very fortunate to get one of the last ones before they ran out. The beauty of this watch is something to see. The over-sized ETA 6498-1 movement on display behind the enormous display sapphire is absolutely stunning. I own a number of automatics and thought to a large degree the mystery and air of exclusivity of the mechanical watch had been lost on me. Oh I was quite wrong it seems. I just had not seen anything like the M20 is all!

The M20 is the first manual wind only watch I have ever owned. Which is funny because I am a religious winder when wearing my automatics. So in reality the lack of a self winding mechanism is not an issue whatsoever. I am an accuracy nut. Something I have found tedious with some of my automatics is that in addition to winding them I would also feel compelled to hack them. My comfort zone is to be within plus or minus 10 sec of the exact time of the day. That admittedly is difficult to achieve for very long with a mechanical watch unless you hack frequently.

I thought my compulsion for the accurate time coupled with the M20's lack of a hacking feature was going to take some getting used to. So I set about wearing the watch and measuring its accuracy during a whole wear/rest cycle. I wore the watch consistently for 16 hours a day followed by an 8 hour rest period. During the rest period I laid the watch to rest in all possible orientations, face up, face down, crown up, down, left and right. I logged the performance and to my surprise I discovered that the M20 is consistently the most accurate mechanical watch I have ever owned.

In typical 16 hour wear, the watch loses about 3-4 sec. During rest the watch varies from gaining 3-4 secs to losing another 2-3 sec. I discovered that sitting upright crown down, the watch will gain 3-4 secs and more or less exactly counters the time lost during wear. The result is a watch that keeps time within plus or minus 1 second in a 24 hour period! I have worn the watch for an entire week without the need for a hack!

I am curious if others are enjoying this kind of accuracy. Is it a characteristic of this movement to be so accurate? If it is, I sure as Hell want another watch with one in it. Perhaps the SB2. Regardless, a movement is only as good as it is regulated and LT did an awesome job with this one. This watch keeps time better than my previous best, a Fortis Spacematic Chronograph with a Valjoux 7750 movement.

What kind of accuracy are you guys getting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ladd & Blue for the comments!

I gather that this movement is special. I have decided that I am going to give my M57 to my son, as he is turning 14 next month and really needs to understand a man needs a nice watch. I am going to get a SB2 and that ETA 6498-1 movement! I would really love to see a bronze SB2, but to tell you the truth I if I cannot get this movement in it I would rather have the SB2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.