WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my first one, which was damaged (and the last one the vendor had), I kept my eye out for another one if the price was right. Found one last Friday and it just came this evening.

Officially, it is the Frederique Constant FC-330V6B6 Moonphase and Date.

Specs:
Caliber
FC-330 (SW-200)
Alternances
28'800 alt/h
Jewels
Winding
Automatic
Power Reserve
Dial
Silver, printed arabic & applied indexes
Features
Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Date, Moonphase
Case
Materials
Stainless steel
Glass
Sapphire crystal
Crown
Screwed
Water-Resistant
10 ATM
Diameter
43mm
Height
11.4mm
Strap or Bracelet Width
Crococalf

First impressions:
-great leather band. Very supple and it smells like leather and I love how it is formed to fit the case.
-while the dial lacks a guilloche pattern, it does have a very subtle silver metallic sheen and the gold hands and hour markers contrast nicely with it.
-working moon phase. This is the first mechanical watch that I've ever had with one, so I'm happy that I have scratched that off the list.
-I like the date display around the rim of the dial
-While the movement is only an SW200, it seems to have been modified to handle both the moon phase and date pointer. Whether FC did that (which they are capable of or it was performed by Sellitta, not exactly sure).
-the only disappointing aspect of the watch is the tritium tubes. They aren't as bright as I expected.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
-great leather band. Very supple and it smells like leather and I love how it is formed to fit the case.
The curved ends really finish the look. :thumbup1: Any strap I order from Hadley Roma gets that feature.

-the only disappointing aspect of the watch is the tritium tubes. They aren't as bright as I expected.
But they stay the same ALL night. If you wake up and look at your watch without turning on the light you'll see the glow fine since your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

Is there a corrector for the pointer date or do you adjust it with the crown?

23 mm is gonna make it tough to source aftermarket straps, but it looks proportional to the watch diameter.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The curved ends really finish the look. :thumbup1: Any strap I order from Hadley Roma gets that feature.

But they stay the same ALL night. If you wake up and look at your watch without turning on the light you'll see the glow fine since your eyes have adjusted to the dark.

Is there a corrector for the pointer date or do you adjust it with the crown?

23 mm is gonna make it tough to source aftermarket straps, but it looks proportional to the watch diameter.
It is a screw in crown. First click out is to wind. Second click, clockwise moves the moonphase, counterclockwise the date pointer and of course the third click out the time.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks. If it means anything to you, I believe that means the moonphase is driven off the hour shaft.
No, that means a lot to me. The more I read at this forum, the less I find out I know. (Not that I thought I was well informed in the first place). Learning about this hobby/obsession is half of the fun.

The more tidbits about how the movement works, the better. I'm eager to hear more.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
A simple moonphase is run by a wheel that has 59 teeth since a lunar cycle is just over 29.5 days. It's actually 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds, but that kind of accuracy is reserved for perpetual calendars. Using the 59 tooth wheel, you only have to reset it once every 2 1/2-ish years. 59 = 29.5 x 2, which is why you have two moon faces on the display disc.

That concludes today's lesson.

Nice friggin' watch, by the way.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've been really looking hard at FC lately. They've got some beautiful designs and you've got one of 'em! I may have to add one to my stable in 2013.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Very nice. I like a moon phase watch, and FC are a great brand. I know that tritium doesn't seem bright at first, but as Dennis said, it does go all night (and all day), and is plenty bright enough for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.