1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always up for a good cause..

Luminox Limited Edition Red Cross Japan Tsunami Aid Watch
Model #3007-jtaf

LIMITED EDITION - ONLY 2011 MADE WORLDWIDE LIMITED EDITION - ONLY 2011 MADE WORLDWIDE! In response to the earthquake and tsunami of 2011, which produced one of the most horrific disasters Japan has ever faced, Luminox has created the Special Limited Edition Red Cross Japan Tsunami Aid Fund Watch, with 100% of the proceeds at Luminox Watch Company benefiting the Japanese Red Cross. The 43-mm watch has a carbon-reinforced polycarbonate case housing a Swiss-made precision quartz movement. The white dial is surrounded by a red tension ring and marked with the red circle symbolizing Japan. With its rugged construction and 200-meter water resistance rating, the Special Limited Edition Red Cross Japan Tsunami Aid Fund Watch features Luminox Light Technology, a system of self-powered micro gas tubes that keeps the dial illuminated for up to 25 years, so that the time is always visible. The watch comes packaged in a special box which can be re-used for storing eyewear in it, featuring a map of Japan marked with a graphic representation of the earthquake’s epicenter on its sleeve.

Retail Price $300.00

See it here;

Luminox Limited Edition Red Cross Japan Tsunami Aid Watch 3007-jtaf

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Luminox 3000 series watch. I like it and the tritium lume is great. I have had to have it serviced two times and both times I had trouble getting it repaired properly. Last time' I sent it to Watch Repair USA it cost $145 to fix it. They said it needed a cleaning and a new motor. when I got it back it was nasty(never cleaned) and the crystal was scratched. More than the watch was worth, but it has sentimental value. I would not buy another Luminox, as Watch repairs USA is their only listed repair center. I will never use them again. There are other tritium watches at better prices to chose from.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Smith and wesson makes some really good trituim watches. Just make sure you dont get the uber cheap ones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Perfect beater watch. A friend tells me they are tough and work great. possibly my next work watch. Saw one on E-bay for $85 new.

·
Super Moderator
15,490 Posts
They're no tougher than any other composite plastic cased watch, or any less tough. Accuracy leaves a bit to be desired too...not nearly as good as a G Shock or an IronMan.
The only reason I bought it was to have an inexpensive watch to wear in bed and those dark, dark trips to the porcelain throne at 3 o'clock in the morning.

It's even on a nylon velcro strap now, which is something I would never be seen wearing in public!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That would be the reason for me, as I never take off a watch except to put on another.Also I want to know what time it is when I wake up in the night. I think tritium kume is better than most. I kind of wonder if these are as good as my Luminox, possibly so same type of case.

·
Super Moderator
15,490 Posts
... I kind of wonder if these are as good as my Luminox, possibly so same type of case.
If it's only the Tritium you're asking about, the answer is "maybe". Everything hinges on the sizes of the individual gas tubes and bigger is better (surface area). When the tubes are fatter there is more luminescent material for the gas to interact with and the tubes will appear brighter.
You'll need to find the largest pictures of each (# of pixels across X down), do a side-by-side comparison, and get the watch with the widest tubes.
And if you can't tell if there's a difference in the sizes...well, you might as well save some dough and get the cheapest of the ones you've singled out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For a good cause, true. I had a 3000 series and liked the feather lightness, but it looked better in the ads then when I wore it, imo. I gave it to my Croatian brother in law. He'll wear anything!

·
Super Moderator
15,490 Posts
I agree. It is super-light, and looks good in photos, but the plastic case does give it a cheesy feel. But then again, once you become a Tritium gas junkie, things like that are easy to forgive IMHO. And that black steel Hadley-Roma bracelet I added on gave the whole package a little more substance. I have no regrets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts