WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When referring to your ETA movement in your watch do you spell it out, E – T – A or do say the word “Eta”. I personally spell it out but a little while back I was talking to a watchmaker and she said it as one word “Eta”. Just curious?

Paul

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
For the ignorant and uninitiated, what is "ETA"? What is it referring to, and how?

As for how to say it, I've always said "Eee-Tee-Ay".

I've got no clue if that's right or not...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I believe it is a variation of Eterna, (of the famous Eterna-Matic watch) which company I think originated the movements. I remember something in Europa Star on the history. It's probably on the web.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I don't know many people who'd even know what an ETA movement is, much less who know how to pronounce it, but among those who do, they say E-T-A.

I doubt that I will change given the fact that anyone normal person who sees three capital letters would pronounce them individually.

This is from Wikipedia:

"ETA SA (Elegance, Technology and Accuracy) is a Swiss producer of mechanical and quartz watch movements. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Swatch Group."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA

So, according to this, it is an acronym.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Too late for me to change now, E T A !!:huh:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Eh-ta just sounds too dang European, if ya know what I mean.

Like maybe one of those funny (not ha-ha funny) Ingmar Bergman picture shows, where everything is in the dark.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Some say tUmAtO, some say tUmahtO

Estimated Time of Arrival :lol:
That is a real good point.

If I hear eh-tah I think watch movement and if I hear Eee-Tee-Ay I think estimated time of arrival. Which in fact at my work is a term often used.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts