Votes: 1 25.0%
  • who cares? quartz is quartz

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have been thinking lately (bad idea :001_tongue:) and was wondering if jeweled quartz movements were THAT much better than un jeweled ones. i mean, i have a Miyota os60 chrono that is un-jeweled and a ETA f06.111 3 hand day quartz that has 3 jewels. what do you guys think? jewels or none? i cant find any other threads on this so id thought i would post one for future reference also :thumbup1:

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Well after all, the purpose of a jewel is to reduce friction. On a basic time/date (quartz) watch I suppose it's not all that critical, but I would see it as almost necessary with something more complicated like a chronograph. Run that Miyota for a good 20-30 years and then tell me it never needed to have parts replaced on it. If you do, I'll be one surprised puppy.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Plain & simple: if there are moving parts, and there are on an analog quartz watch (with hands), there should be jewels. If the display is digital then there's no need.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Are the jewels and the accompanying need for lubrication service more expensive than just replacing the movement?

That's kind of the thing about quartz - they are so easily mass produced with a high level of accuracy that there is no reason why you wouldn't just throw it away and pop in a new one.

In a mechanical watch, that friction/wear is critical as it has an impact on accuracy, but in quartz, it's simply about longevity.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Are the jewels and the accompanying need for lubrication service more expensive than just replacing the movement?

That's kind of the thing about quartz - they are so easily mass produced with a high level of accuracy that there is no reason why you wouldn't just throw it away and pop in a new one.

In a mechanical watch, that friction/wear is critical as it has an impact on accuracy, but in quartz, it's simply about longevity.
My only experience with this is yes, even with the ETA jeweled quartz, which cost a whopping $40 I believe.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

exactly! why not wait the 30-40 years and pay about $35 and pop it in? even the old pin lever timex watches had one jewel (the movement said no jewels but i counted one) but it had special hardened conical bearings that were extremely high hard and held up for YEARS and are still running. but in a quartz movement it shouldn't matter unless its a high end thermocompinsated rolex ouysterquartz or something

i think this is going to be a great friendly debate :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts