WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely wife has given me a Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic as a father's day gift. My first "grownup" watch. I couldn't be happier.

However, I noticed a few peculiarities that I thought I'd share with the group and solicit feedback. The packaging that accompanies the watch is incorrect. The box has a sticker which indicates that it is for a Khaki Officer model, not the Jazzmaster that I received.

Also, when I research the model number inscribed on the back of the watch "H324550", all of the search results are from China. Furthermore, when I go to the Hamilton web site, I cannot locate a watch that exactly visually matches the one that I received.

If it wasn't for the fact that it was purchased from a reputable local jeweler, I would be suspicious about its authenticity.

So my questions for the group are:
1) Is it unreasonable for me to return to the place of purchase and request the correct packaging (box) for this watch?
and
2) Is model H324550 so rare that I would not expect to find any English-language search results on Google?

I've include a few pictures of the watch. I apologize for the quality, as I do not have a macro lens for my SLR. I used my iPhone instead.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The model number on the case doesn't account for the choice of strap. The H324550 accounts for the case design. The model number in the catalog will also account for the type of strap or band on the watch. The 0 at the end of model number will be replaced with the code for the band. In this case, I think it will be H32455131.

If it were purchased locally, I think you should go back and ask for the correct packaging. Display watches often have their boxes piled up recklessly in a cabinet or back room. Some sales people may not make the time and effort to match them correctly. With luck, another customer doesn't have your watch box already.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Davemcc is correct. Hamilton's product numbers are codes with numbers to indicate the style, case material, dial color, strap etc. Since the same case can be used with different options the case reference number is not the full catalog number.

Regarding boxes and labels, the situation is compounded by the fact that for the past year or so Hamilton has stopped shipping pre-packaged watches to authorized dealers. I'm not sure of their reasoning, but now when they send a shipment it consists of the watches each packaged individually in a clear, thin plastic container with some padding as appropriate; empty gift boxes equal to the total number of watches in the shipment; instruction/guarantee booklets in a large envelope; and stickers with product name, code and price. It's up to the jeweler to put all the pieces together and label the boxes.

I would suppose that a probable reason for this is simply to make it easier to store watches in a safe without taking up a huge amount of unnecessary room for packaging. But it does mean that a jeweler has to pay attention to the labeling if he wants everything to match.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the informative replies, guys. I just returned from having the band adjusted. Fits and looks great. And now that I understand the model numbering and the shipping details, I feel reassured about this watch.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Congrats on the new Hamilton...looks great. I got a Fathers Day watch gift as well...ain't it great? Enjoy yours and wear it in good health.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sharp watch, wear it well!:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts