WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eying the classic collection of the JL, specifically the 1397.
They appear to have nice designs, but I wonder about quality. Any of you gents have any experience and can attest to the movements?

Pic for views:

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Of course I can't speak for the Grande Fromage, El Boscoe, but he's spoken very highly of them in the recent past, as have a number of other forum members. And if boscoe says something good about a watch or watch brand, it's golden.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have 2 older models of the JL the first one is a limited edition of 300 with the V7750.
The second one has the V7751 both are very well made.Fit and feel very good.The only
flaw on the second one is the hands hard to see.Easy enough fix to change the hands.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
I own about a half-dozen Jacques Lemans (maybe more) - wore one yesterday, my VJ 7751 Moonphase, which I customized with painted hands for easier reading. I am wearing this today:

Jacques Lemans offers very good fit and finish - particularly on its Geneve line - and excellent value. The company also makes watches with Asian movements, but I have never bought one.
My JL's include several 2824s and a couple 2834 (big day). I have never experienced a problem.
I highly recommend the brand. An excellent mid-range Swiss watch (though the company is based in Austria - they opened assembly facilities in Geneve about two years ago.)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have one of these which was given to me as a gift. It is a quartz model (something I normally wouldn't buy myself) and it has a GMT complication. The watch runs fine and looks to be competently manufactured. Although I wouldn't have purchased this one myself, the watch works perfectly and seems to be finished decently well too. It is my first experience with this brand and so far it is working out just fine.

If I were to recommend a couple of brands in a lower price range (although they might be higher than the JL), I would go for automatic watches from either Revue Thommen or Oris. My own personal preference is to have mechanical watches and these two do a good job in the under $1,000.00 price range. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go. :001_smile:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
I have one of these which was given to me as a gift. It is a quartz model (something I normally wouldn't buy myself) and it has a GMT complication. The watch runs fine and looks to be competently manufactured. Although I wouldn't have purchased this one myself, the watch works perfectly and seems to be finished decently well too. It is my first experience with this brand and so far it is working out just fine.

If I were to recommend a couple of brands in a lower price range (although they might be higher than the JL), I would go for automatic watches from either Revue Thommen or Oris. My own personal preference is to have mechanical watches and these two do a good job in the under $1,000.00 price range. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go. :001_smile:
Oris makes great watches, but I think JL is, generally, just as good and less expensive. Better bang for buck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.