WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is posted on the IWC forum, but since this watch is not seen often I thought I would post it here as well.

Enjoy,

Bill

This week I had the rare opportunity to acquire a vintage 1995 or 1996 IWC Porsche Design Titan Chronograph 01. IWC pioneered the use of titanium in case and bracelet manufacturing and the PD was one of the first models to utilize this durable and light metal. Please note the special PD configuration with the chrono pushers integrated into the case. Very nice look IMHO.

Reference Number: 3704.
Case Diameter: 42.5 mm
Case Height: 13.7 mm
Sapphire crystal not AR coated
Screwed in crown
Weighs in with bracelet at 100 g
Water resistant: 6 bar (60 meters)
Calibre: A/7922
Jewels: 25
Day and date (mine is a German model so day is German)
Beats at 28,800 oscillations per hour (4 hertz)

I am really pleased to have found this model and add it to my collection. When I travel to Schaffhausen next month I am picking up another vintage IWC from a European collector. Pictures will be posted when it comes back from a spa treatment at the Factory. Guesses are welcome, but I will hold back announcements / photos until it is overhauled and ready for wrist time.

Here is the PD. Apologies for the poor photo.

Bill

Here is the ubiquitous wrist shot.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Interesting design. Very stylish - yet the design style marks it as a "modern" 20th Century piece. Very much from the minimalist school.
I like it very much. Congrats on a great find.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm normally not a fan of "Porsche Design" except on those fabulous cars. I frankly didn't admire the design enough to get that new electric razor, golf putter, or whatnot at The Sharper Image.

But I like this watch quite a bit. It has a purposeful design with great legibility. I'm a fan. Congratulations on your new watch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts