WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if we have any fans here of the IWC Ingenieur? It has a very nice newer movement with excellent shock resistance, as well as protection from magnetism, etc., developed with expertise from both IWC and ETA. Most reports I have read have been good. What do you think here? Some have told me the watch is a little thick for their taste and the lume performance a bit underwhelming (a complaint many have about all models of IWC). But other than this most owners say they are quite pleased with it as it is a very nice watch. What are your observations and opinions? I would love to get some feedback.

·
Banned
90 Posts
The Ingenieur 3227 is my daily wear IWC and a favorite...

I can wholeheartedly endorse the Inge as a durable, comfortable and extremely accurate / consistent time piece. The SS bracelet is the most comfortable of all my straps. I hardly notice the weight when wearing this beauty. The black dial is quite striking and, yes, the lume is a bit underwhelming, but I don't find that a problem under most circumstances.

As to the accuracy statement for a three month period the watch gained exactly 6 minutes. I don't even bother to track its accuracy anymore.

This is my everyday wear watch and one of my favorites.

Bill

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can wholeheartedly endorse the Inge as a durable, comfortable and extremely accurate / consistent time piece. The SS bracelet is the most comfortable of all my straps. I hardly notice the weight when wearing this beauty. The black dial is quite striking and, yes, the lume is a bit underwhelming, but I don't find that a problem under most circumstances.

As to the accuracy statement for a three month period the watch gained exactly 6 seconds. I don't even bother to track its accuracy anymore.

Bill
Thank you for telling me about your experience. It amazes me that you have such impressive accuracy--wow! This just seems to be such an incredibly nice watch to me, although I hesitate a little because of the underwhelming lume performance. Still, it just seems like a wonderful watch overall. Thank you for giving me your appraisal--I appreciate it. :001_smile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

As to the accuracy statement for a three month period the watch gained exactly 6 seconds. I don't even bother to track its accuracy anymore.

Bill
I hope you don't mind but I have another question. You mentioned the bracelet was very comfortable, and I have heard this before, which is excellent. Many have also commented on the bracelet being easy to adjust (the links); have you also found this to be the case? This is another feature which would make this watch a compelling choice to me. Thank you in advance.

By the way, a day later, I am still blown away by the accuracy you are getting from this model--wow! If I even got one which was 1-2 seconds a day I would be ecstatic. Congratulations on that.

·
Banned
90 Posts
@haakon59,

I too was amazed by the accuracy / consistency, but that was several months ago and to tell the truth I have not checked it for several months now. I do not expect that kind of accuracy in the long haul. I think I will track it again to see where it is now. I have had the watch for just about a year now.

Back to your inquiry about the bracelet. It is an amazing piece. The push button opening devise is so smooth that putting the bracelet on and off is a pleasure. The engineering is amazing. The bracelet and links are extremely easy to take off the watch with the included tools. All you do is push a target on the back of each link and the pins slide right out. I am a complete amateur and would never attempt removing an alligator strap. There are half links to adjust the watch to your wrist for a correct fit. The buckle sits exactly in the middle of the back of my wrist and the watch is perfectly balanced even for a 216 gram watch. As I noted, I don't notice the weight at all because it is so well balanced.

You will not go wrong with the Ingenieur. It is a great IWC in the Probus Scafusia tradition.

Bill

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@haakon59,

I too was amazed by the accuracy / consistency, but that was several months ago and to tell the truth I have not checked it for several months now. I do not expect that kind of accuracy in the long haul. I think I will track it again to see where it is now. I have had the watch for just about a year now.

Back to your inquiry about the bracelet. It is an amazing piece. The push button opening devise is so smooth that putting the bracelet on and off is a pleasure. The engineering is amazing. The bracelet and links are extremely easy to take off the watch with the included tools. All you do is push a target on the back of each link and the pins slide right out. I am a complete amateur and would never attempt removing an alligator strap. There are half links to adjust the watch to your wrist for a correct fit. The buckle sits exactly in the middle of the back of my wrist and the watch is perfectly balanced even for a 216 gram watch. As I noted, I don't notice the weight at all because it is so well balanced.

You will not go wrong with the Ingenieur. It is a great IWC in the Probus Scarfusia tradition.

Bill
Thanks for your comments on the bracelet.

On the accuracy front, some other owners have also noted this watch has exceptional accuracy--at least right out of the gate. But I imagine even after a few months of wear it still does well, even if not to the degree of perfection you experienced at first. The other watch people have especially commented on this to me is the Omega Planet Ocean. But you also hear this about Rolex and Ulysse Nardin and many other brands as well. Still, it is always welcome news when people can comment on having excellent accuracy. Thanks again for sharing you experience.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I second pretty much everything bill said and would like to add another aspect from my experience with this watch. The lume is indeed a bit under-powered, but at the same time it is very even and well applied. Since I'm never in any perfect dark situations, the extra wide minute and hour hands more than do it's job reflecting the little light available off their highly polished surfaces. I've had no problems with it at night.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I second pretty much everything bill said and would like to add another aspect from my experience with this watch. The lume is indeed a bit under-powered, but at the same time it is very even and well applied. Since I'm never in any perfect dark situations, the extra wide minute and hour hands more than do it's job reflecting the little light available off their highly polished surfaces. I've had no problems with it at night.
Thank you for making this point--I hadn't thought of this. It's a very nice watch in just about every way possible, except the lume. But I understand your point and want to thank you for adding this insight to the discussion. Maybe this will make a difference for me. Thank you. :001_smile:

·
Banned
90 Posts
Inge Dial Close Up

Yes, the Inge is mine bought about 1.5 years ago from my local AD. Here is a quick and dirty dial close up. I am not certain what you see as a difference in the lettering, but this may be some help.

Bill

·
Registered
592 Posts
Bill,

It looks like the text on your dial is on top of the pattern of the dial and in the other picture they seem to be on a flat part on the dial.

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the Inge is mine bought about 1.5 years ago from my local AD. Here is a quick and dirty dial close up. I am not certain what you see as a difference in the lettering, but this may be some help.

Bill

Thanks for sharing, Bill

I think your watch is same to me,

Maybe the your first posted photo was takend by different angle so that made me can't see the flat-base square around the letters. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts