Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IWC does not make a metal bracelet for the mid-size Portofino*

*Source Hamilton Jewelers, authorized AD

·
Banned
90 Posts
Tradition and history of the brand. There is no metal bracelet for the Portuguese models either. This does not mean that bracelets from other models may not fit, but it does menan that the designers and history of the brand dictate that a leather strap is offered as the original equipment.

Somehow a gold bracelet on the RG 5001 just would be too much of a break of history and tradition for me. It just would not be right. The Portuguese is not about bling.

Bill

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
I was looking at IWC watches, and I noticed the leather versions were a few hundered cheaper than their SS counterparts. I found this interesting, as some other watch companies I have looked at charge the same regardless of the material for the strap/bracelet.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
I was looking at IWC watches, and I noticed the leather versions were a few hundered cheaper than their SS counterparts. I found this interesting, as some other watch companies I have looked at charge the same regardless of the material for the strap/bracelet.

Really, which ones were those that charged the same? All higher end brands I know of charge more for the SS as the costs of the bracelets are substantially more than leather or even croco / gator. Personally, if I paid the same price for a leather strapped watch that the SS one goes for, I'd feel ripped off..

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, Scott That's been my experience, too.
I found out the info on the bracelet when I tried to order one. They researched it and called me back with the bad news. A bracelet is available on the larger Portofino.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really, which ones were those that charged the same? All higher end brands I know of charge more for the SS as the costs of the bracelets are substantially more than leather or even croco / gator. Personally, if I paid the same price for a leather strapped watch that the SS one goes for, I'd feel ripped off..
While maybe not "high end", the new Tag Heuer Grand Carrera range retail for the same price on leather and steel. Whe I asked, nobody could tell me why??? :confused1:

- Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts