WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with IWC's Customer Service, had to turn their watch in for repair, or anything of this nature? How are they to deal with? And has anyone got a discount on their IWC? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
So I've never dealt with their Customer Service, but I've talked to many who have over the years & I've heard NOTHING bad. On the contrary, everyone seems to say they're the Lexus, BMW or Mercedes of the watch service business. VERY customer friendly...

As far as discounts, they're not as deep as some, but better than the Krown brand usually. One of the 'issues' getting deep discounts is they don't have many dealers, so they don't have to fight via discounts to get your business. Also, they know they make a good, quality product & price the watches more inline with what they're worth instead of having higher prices only to discount them. You will get some off, but not a 20%+. Probably not much over 15% usually via AD's, as a general rule.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
No problemo..

Now run to the phones & get yourself an IWC!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Banned
90 Posts
IWC Service

Has anyone dealt with IWC's Customer Service, had to turn their watch in for repair, or anything of this nature? How are they to deal with? And has anyone got a discount on their IWC? Thanks! :)
I have heard nothing but praise for the service from IWC. Depending on the level of service required, it may take some additional time, but comments are always that IWC does a superb job.

There is a IWC / Richemont service center in NYC. More complex repairs are done in Schaffhausen. About a year ago or so, IWC stopped providing independent repair services from getting access to parts. Now, you generally have to deal with IWC directly via your AD or sending your watch to them directly.

From my knowledge, IWC provides superior service and makes a great effort to support collectors.

Bill

·
Banned
90 Posts
TF

Perhaps I am wrong, but a long time IWC repair firm in the East is no longer an authorized IWC repair center. Perhaps others are still in existance and I misread the intent. I am clearly not speaking for IWC or their policies.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I think you're right Bill. My local AD is no longer qualified as a "authorized repair center". I don't think there's any legal issue. As the dealer will take the watch & send it in (if under warranty) to IWC at no charge (they'll even pay the shipping). The warranty guarentees service, not by a specific entity. And if it's out of warranty, you can send it in to IWC directly or thru an AD.

Also, I see this as a plus. There may be too many 'authorized' repair centers of other brands that truely don't do good work all the time. If the company can do a better job, I'd rather they do it anyways....

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
How can IWC stop independents from getting parts? Seems to me, they would lose/settle a lawsuit. See here what happened to Rolex:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/03/rolex.html
So I re-read the Rolex story. I think the difference is Rolex told the independent dealers if you want our parts, you'll do x, y & z or make them promise not to install parts in a watch that has non-Rolex parts. So they were setting the practice of what the independents could & couldn't do - regardless if that had anything to do with the actual problem with the watch, or they wouldn't ship parts to them (similar to what Microsoft tried to do with PC manufactures saying if you want Windows you can't install these companies other aps). I think the difference for IWC is they aren't trying to set what an independent can or can't do, they're just not selling the parts period.

One other thing I noticed in the article is that the Justice Dept. found during the investigation that the 1960 anti-competitive decree is no longer needed and should be terminated altogether.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Scott,

I think you are exactly right. If IWC decides only to repair their watches themselves, they are not obliged to sell their parts to anyone. They are not discriminating against anyone. The customer has fewer, but potentially better repair service and records of what has been done to any individual IWC watch.

It puts gray market watches in a bit of a bind for warranty work. Without an official AD's stamp /certification, warranty work will be denied by IWC and there is no other option for an authorized, non IWC repair center. Of course, IWC will do the repairs for the normal fee.

Bill

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yea, I agree Bill. Personally, I'd rather be inconvenienced a bit for a repair & get it done right the first time by someone I know is properly trained then get an 'easy' fix that isn't fixed. And the paper trail is very valuable... Especially to resale.

Hummm.. Never thought of the gray dealers. They have to have someway to service those..... Though to be honest, I can't recalls ever seeing many IWC gray dealers, if any. :confused1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts