WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by the mall today to get a watch fix, and discovered Tourneau has pulled out of Michigan!! :cursing:
Now what am I going to do? I still have a Montblanc, and they just added an Omega store to the mall, but I'm really going to miss the fun of browsing through Tourneau. :sad:
I suppose it's partly my fault, I haven't bought a watch from them for several years, and then it was a used stainless Rolex... maybe if I'd gone for something with a bit more bling they'd have stayed around. :lol:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well my experience with them is a joke. I went into one in the bay area and the woman didn't even want to show me an Omega, grudgingly she finally did.

She asked what I was wearing and I showed her my Breilting. Her response: "Never heard of it" Last time I ever shopped there.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Well my experience with them is a joke. I went into one in the bay area and the woman didn't even want to show me an Omega, grudgingly she finally did.

She asked what I was wearing and I showed her my Breilting. Her response: "Never heard of it" Last time I ever shopped there.
Pretty much echo's my experience here in Atlanta. The sales staff always made it seem like they were doing you a favor showing you a watch you might be interested in buying. Added to that their prices were almost always the highest I could find at any AD. They're still here, but I haven't been in there in almost 18 months, maybe more. So they may as well be gone from here as far as I'm concerned.

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Axiom of free enterprise: If you don't buy from a retailer, they can't stay in business. If Tourneau isn't competitive then they'll put themselves under.

I've never had any bad service at the Tourneau in KoP. There's a very attractive brunette there. :001_wub:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There're prices are MSRP.
Pretty much echo's my experience here in Atlanta. The sales staff always made it seem like they were doing you a favor showing you a watch you might be interested in buying. Added to that their prices were almost always the highest I could find at any AD. They're still here, but I haven't been in there in almost 18 months, maybe more. So they may as well be gone from here as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
There're prices are MSRP.
Yes, they are. And since they rarely offer discounts here (even when cash came out of the pocket) and just about every other AD of the brands they sell in this area do discount at least a little, Tourneau's has (or at least had when I was shopping them) the most expensive prices of the AD's here. That's what I meant.

I don't mind paying MSRP. I don't even mind paying MSRP when another dealer will give discount and a better price if the AD selling the item at MSRP offers me something else, such as superior service or treatment. But I surely will never pay MSRP to a business that treats me like a second-class buyer, talks down to me or tries to make plain stupid comments on what the watch can or does do, and that's how the branch here tends to treat people, or at least me & others I've seen in there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, now I REALLY miss them!:lol:

Seriously, the one by me was pretty good... large selection, new & used, always very willing to talk & show me their inventory, and reasonably knowledgeable (they even knew of Titoni - stumped on d.freemont though). I would agree, their prices weren't great, but I did enjoy browsing there. I was actually going to take a second look at a Cuervo y Sobrinos they had on sale last time I was there... guess I saved a bit of money today. :T

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Oh come on!!! :D Here in hickvill enfield CT we have a walmart, target, Macy's, and sears for watches...oh yeah. And a Kay jewelers...

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can have the ones in New York - they're useless.
And that's if they even bother to stop pretending not to notice you in the first place.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:sad: Corporate came down with a new policy last May, no more points.
Yes, they are. And since they rarely offer discounts here (even when cash came out of the pocket) and just about every other AD of the brands they sell in this area do discount at least a little, Tourneau's has (or at least had when I was shopping them) the most expensive prices of the AD's here. That's what I meant.

I don't mind paying MSRP. I don't even mind paying MSRP when another dealer will give discount and a better price if the AD selling the item at MSRP offers me something else, such as superior service or treatment. But I surely will never pay MSRP to a business that treats me like a second-class buyer, talks down to me or tries to make plain stupid comments on what the watch can or does do, and that's how the branch here tends to treat people, or at least me & others I've seen in there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so, It sounds like they just closed the best store they had, that can't be a good business model. :wink:

The only other one I've been to is in Vegas, and now that you guys mention it, they do act a bit aloof... and I'm usually wearing a pretty nice (read expensive) watch when I travel. The folks at my local store would usually comment on, or ask about what I was wearing, and start a nice "watch banter", but I get not reaction from the sales staff in Vegas. I figured it was because they were too jaded from all the expensive bling they must see out there, but maybe my store was unique, and the Vegas store is their SOP.

Mores the pity, they should close mine.:crying:

·
Registered
88 Posts
so, It sounds like they just closed the best store they had, that can't be a good business model. :wink:

The only other one I've been to is in Vegas, and now that you guys mention it, they do act a bit aloof... and I'm usually wearing a pretty nice (read expensive) watch when I travel. The folks at my local store would usually comment on, or ask about what I was wearing, and start a nice "watch banter", but I get not reaction from the sales staff in Vegas. I figured it was because they were too jaded from all the expensive bling they must see out there, but maybe my store was unique, and the Vegas store is their SOP.

Mores the pity, they should close mine.:crying:
I think they just hire folks to be sales associates who don't care what they're selling. It could be watches, cat food, or car parts. Last time I was inside the one located in Roosevelt Field, I asked if they had any MIDO models. The SA who didn't even bother to greet me when I walked in, but did greet the guy who walked in behind me, actually told me he had never even heard of the brand. In fairness, the SA did look very young. Still, he looked older than your average fetus.

As far as greeting customers goes . . . I used to work at Colorado Pen Company a few years back. The owner, Mr. Paradise, was known to visit the many stores across the nation. There's a true story of him visiting the nearest CPC store to the one I used to work in. Mr. Paradise walked in, the SA failed to greet him after a few seconds. The SA was standing behind the counter, looking down at the display case, Mr. Paradise literally snapped his fingers and fired him on the spot! Here's the thing, that SA was a good worker. Decent guy. But, he failed to do his job properly and he messed up right in front of the owner.

If a customer walked in and asked if we carried bp refills for his S.T. Dupont, and an SA said "Never heard of it," and the customer complained; that SA would be on the unemployment line. And rightly so.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Seriously, the one by me was pretty good... large selection, new & used, always very willing to talk & show me their inventory...
...And, let's face it -- always provided a great diversion while waiting to pick up take-out at P.F. Chang's next door...:wink:

I am truly sad that Tourneau's is no longer at "The Collection." Couldn't believe it when I saw it boarded up. Ah, well.

They sized some bracelets for me at no charge -- gotta love that. Nice folks, and always some great browsing. As a result, I would always give them first shot at my business on brands that they carried. Never worked out though. Getting even a 10% discount was like pulling teeth. On watches that they did not have in stock, but had to be ordered from the factory -- no discount at all, and no promise of receiving anything inside of 4 weeks. Other brick and mortar AD's routinely offered better discounts and bent over backwards to get a watch in my hands as quickly as possible. Not so with Tourneau -- and they never got my business as a result.

Need to explore some new alternatives in Birmingham...

Cheers,
Jazz

·
Registered
7 Posts
i agree with you, somtimes here in Atlanta, you do good if they even talk to you. I t

:eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts