WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

Most of you guys know that I pretty much only work on watches from the WWI period but today was a bit different!

I've been time warped up to the 1950's ! ! ! ! !

I bought this watch 11 months ago at the NAWCC Auburn Regional but just now got around to it.

The iconic circa 1952 Lord Elgin Black Knight ! ! ! ! !

One of the main reasons that I bought this piece is because of the condition of the case, dial and hands, SUPERB CONDITION.

The case does NOT have any gold fill wear spots!!!

I polished the case and it now appears to be glowing, that 14k gold filled looks awesome ! ! !

The movement inside this Lord Elgin was toast, somebody tried to do a repair and just caused more damage by the looks of it.

So, I replaced the entire movement with a freshly serviced later model, same 21 jewel 680 movement just made at a later date.

I think that this wrist shot just might be one of the best that I have ever taken ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Beautiful, Stan! Not just the 1950s - with the 680 with no serial number, you're talking 1955-1956! The Black Knight first appears in ads in 1951, IIRC. They were very popular, and Elgin made them at least until 1957 - I've seen them with 713 movements and a different caseback.

The Black Knight originally came with a conical crystal, which you sometimes see on Ebay, but that one there is quite a looker as it is!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info about the missing serial number dating to 1955 or 1956 ! ! ! !

I'm out of my element on this one.

You are the man ! ! ! !

·
Banned
615 Posts
Beautiful, Stan! Not just the 1950s - with the 680 with no serial number, you're talking 1955-1956! The Black Knight first appears in ads in 1951, IIRC. They were very popular, and Elgin made them at least until 1957 - I've seen them with 713 movements and a different caseback.

The Black Knight originally came with a conical crystal, which you sometimes see on Ebay, but that one there is quite a looker as it is!
Great info, nicely shared.
And I agree a very cool looking watch.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.