WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess I'll start this "oldies but goodies" diver post off with a more than capable professional diver. (I promissed Bullosa to post this watch and I'm sure he's waited patiently.)

So without further delay, here's my Seiko SQ 1000m 7C46 SBDS018 Golden Tuna below. This being my 3rd example I've owned now, it's really a very nice condition huge chunk of Titanium Nitride coated Ti steel alloy designed for commercial diving duties and ISO rated and tested to 1000m and beyond.
The 7C46 Hi torque multi jeweled movement is designed for the rigors of pressure and temperature changes, as well as being fully anti-magnetic and accuracy is tops in any watch I have ever owned and timed for long duration periods of time.
The thick Hardlex crystal is super clear displaying the richly generously filled markers and hands with the nitro glowing lumenova which is the brightest and longest lasting lume I've seen personally to date. The watch is also impervious to the effects of mixed gas diving and is fully He gas resistant. :001_tt1:

Hope you enjoyed the thread and seeing the 1000m Golden SBDS018 up close, I look forward to seeing your most appreciated Diver in reply!

Cheers my friends,
Jim

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Thanks Jim for sharing about this vintage diver. This Tuna is rarely seen. How did you manage to land a third SBDS018? :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks bullosa, I guess these are not everyones cup of tea

and it seems that this watch or the other Tunas or even quartz wathes are of no importance these days.

Too bad really, these watches are very high quality with the utmost in quartz hi technology with too many first of there kind patents to even mention here...:thumbup:

I've had 3 of these SQ 1000m SBDS018's this being the 3rd and last of that model scored about 9 months ago, along with 2 SSBS018 1000m golden Tunas which took over from this model shown, and 3 7549 600m Golden Tuna, with 2 7549 300m Tunacans and 1 SBDX005 600m historical reissue automatic 8L35 Tuna. :001_tt1:

Yes you could say I was hooked like a fish, and while I enjoyed them greatly for the time I owned them, I now am going into another direction and have flipped most of them all.

Thanks bullosa, appreciate the reply- :001_smile:
Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
hi,

Congrats on this beautifull acquisition:thumbup:, i really love the contrast between the black and gold.
This watch is a serious diver :thumbup:.
Wear it in good health my friend:wink:

Bryan

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello jgj5057, and thanks for your interest in the Golden 1000m Tuna

To answer your question,

Yes I'm a diver and have been for many years, and I've used not this exact example diving but have used my 1st SBDS018 and a SSBS018 while on 2-3 seperate dives from clearer Florida waters to the darker and deeper Carolina coast in depths from 1 atmoshere down to a depth of 120ft for a short period of time while diving a sunken German U-Boat sub from WW2.

These watches are designed for and excell in the rigors of diving both Recreational/Sport & Commercial diving, as well as being a great all around sport watch for everyday activities or just plain fun and enjoyment.

All I can say is the lume is like a flashlight under the sea & very visable as are the index gold hash markers which also can be seen more so in clearer seas, but are slightly visable in darker deeper dives. The bezel may be or seem like a pain to rotate when dry, but it works better in the water than on dry land, and as you would expect the quartz accuracy is spot on.

I would regard these as one of the all time best dive watches ever designed! :biggrin:

Cheers Sir and I appreciated your reply- :thumbup:
Jim

very nice watch - do you wear these watches when diving? how are they as far as legibilty is concerned underwater?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey Bryan good to see you...

Yes they are all that man, and wear pretty nice on the wrist considering the size at about 50mm in diameter. :001_tt1:

This one was had not too long ago, but was recently flipped to another Tuna lover. I had to get funds together for a new PC & Camera, so it's at a nice new home. (I'll be finding another someday soon, maybe a new Black darth 1000m quartz tuna?) :lol:

Good to see you Bry, and appreciate your reply! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Jim,

When I saw the Tuna years ago, I didnt like it at all. But over the years, er hem...a little education helps..LOL..I learn to appreciate these specially designed dive watches. These shrouded divers indeed are iconic with Seiko Pro dive watch history. A lot of thoughts were put into designing the watch and the movement is dedicated to diving environment. Alas, I have no approval from my finance minister to acquire one of these yet. But pictures of it on wrist of Badern look way too cool to ignore. :thumbup1: Your golden vintage certainly will spark conversation in any Seiko gathering. :biggrin:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree Bullosa, when I first saw them years back I couldn't stand the looks

But over time all things have there day and time, so I ended up reading and talking to those who were currently into the Tunas, Badern & Company who helped to convert me to the Tunas.

Since those days, I studied and grew to learn as much about these watches as I could, and they surely are worthy of all the praise they recieve.

Ahh my friend, well this was the last recent score, but then was flipped a short time ago to gather finances for much needed items of neccesity being a new PC and Camera and such, so I now am Tunaless and looking at which new model will fill the void. :thumbup:

Hey the economy they say is starting to turn around for the better? So maybe your (Finance Minister) will approve you shortly. lol, no worries, the wife will take care of you and your needs! :lol:

Cheers,
Jim

Jim,

When I saw the Tuna years ago, I didnt like it at all. But over the years, er hem...a little education helps..LOL..I learn to appreciate these specially designed dive watches. These shrouded divers indeed are iconic with Seiko Pro dive watch history. A lot of thoughts were put into designing the watch and the movement is dedicated to diving environment. Alas, I have no approval from my finance minister to acquire one of these yet. But pictures of it on wrist of Badern look way too cool to ignore. :thumbup1: Your golden vintage certainly will spark conversation in any Seiko gathering. :biggrin:

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts