WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think this vintage PP is worth $6,500? Case is 18K gold and it is beautiful, but it has no papers or box, both of which were abandoned long ago apparently. I worry about buying something so old. Won't it cost a fortune to service? Or considering the age, can I just have it serviced by any professional watch repair person for less than what PP charges?

Also, if I did buy it, under what circumstances would I wear it? I assume with business wear, but when else? I work largely from home now so would not get much wear out of it if that's the only place this look would be appropriate. Would I tear it up if I wore it daily?

Thanks!

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

Administrator
I wouldn't wear it as a daily watch. For me its just for a special occasion but then I've never spent $6500 on a watch.....

Any qualified watch repair person could possibly do a clean / service on that watch but obtaining parts from Patek may be an issue and yes it will cost a few shekels to maintain that watch. With Pateks, provenance / history and service records support the value of those watches. Remember their ads? 'You dont really own a Patek, you are just preserving it for the next generation' (or something like that 馃槉)

Super Moderator
I have a $1200 Ball watch I'm selling because it turned out to be too expensive for my limited lifestyle! I can;t even imagine my forking over 6-Grand on a watch!
If I may be allowed to speak frankly: You sound like trying to be talked out of buying this watch, and/or you're unsure about this offering. If it were MY money on the line, I wouldn not buy it unless (A) It was from an OFFICIALLY AUTHORIZED P-P DEALER or I personally knew the seller. It sounds like you don't fit the bill here.
Wear it every day, and you WILL risk constant dings and scratches. Can you afford to treat that expensive a watch in such a manner?
It doesn't sound to me like you're ready to own this much watch, or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Walk away from it and buy something you're more comfortable owning.
In MY world, ANY watch is the wrong watch to buy if you can't afford to own it. And I'm not just talking about whether one can FINANCIALLY afford it... I mean emotionally as well.

-My 4 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a $1200 Ball watch I'm selling because it turned out to be too expensive (it needs a repair job I simply CANNOT afford) for my limited lifestyle! I can;t even imagine my forking over 6-Grand on a watch!
If I may be allowed to speak frankly: You sound like trying to be talked out of buying this watch, and/or you're unsure about this offering. If it were MY money on the line, I wouldn not buy it unless (A) It was from an OFFICIALLY AUTHORIZED P-P DEALER or I personally knew the seller. It sounds like you don't fit the bill here.
Wear it every day, and you WILL risk constant dings and scratches. Can you afford to treat that expensive a watch in such a manner?
It doesn't sound to me like you're ready to own this much watch, or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Walk away from it and buy something you're more comfortable owning.
In MY world, ANY watch is the wrong watch to buy if you can't afford to own it. And I'm not just talking about whether one can FINANCIALLY afford it... I mean emotionally as well.

-My 4 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).
You know, this is very insightful. You are totally right. I WAS trying to be talked out of it and didn't even realize it. It isn't a watch I will be comfortable owning because I want $6500 to work a lot harder than just being able to wear it occasionally. If I could afford that much on multiple watches, then I would probably be in a place where I could afford to just get a new Patek or at least one with papers, service record, etc.

This is why I keep coming back here. You folks give good advice! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't wear it as a daily watch. For me its just for a special occasion but then I've never spent $6500 on a watch.....

Any qualified watch repair person could possibly do a clean / service on that watch but obtaining parts from Patek may be an issue and yes it will cost a few shekels to maintain that watch. With Pateks, provenance / history and service records support the value of those watches. Remember their ads? 'You dont really own a Patek, you are just preserving it for the next generation' (or something like that 馃槉)
Very good point. And it's exactly this history and service record that this piece is missing.

Registered

C'mon, - you dont really think that (with a Calatrava) "With Pateks, provenance / history and service records support the value of those watches", do you?? My personal opinion is that this isnt the case with any Patek (though they are nice to have) but especially with a Calatrava it doesnt do anything to the price.

I suppose to some dreamer who is looking to be talked out of a purchase, they might make some difference but that hardly affects the market for PPs.

Administrator
C'mon, - you dont really think that (with a Calatrava) "With Pateks, provenance / history and service records support the value of those watches", do you?? My personal opinion is that this isnt the case with any Patek (though they are nice to have) but especially with a Calatrava it doesnt do anything to the price.

I suppose to some dreamer who is looking to be talked out of a purchase, they might make some difference but that hardly affects the market for PPs.
I do actually but opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one. Curious though cuz I'm not a Patek guy. Why not the Calatrava in particular?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I am new to the collectible watch world and am certainly still learning, but from what I have read, original boxes, papers, and service records do impact value for the purchaser and therefore can affect sale price. It makes sense to me that having these items would make the watch more desirable than not having them.

As far as wanting to be talked out of it, you are correct, I did want to be talked out of it, as I was very conflicted about whether or not I wanted to buy it. It is gorgeous and likely the only way I could ever afford a Patek this beautiful is an old one like this where it has no box, service record, etc. On the other hand, once I spend that much money I will have no more watch budget and it will likely take a good while to save up for another one. This one is beautiful yes, but it will only work with certain situations for me since I don't need to dress up for work anymore (working from home is the best!). So it isn't practical for me and I appreciated the advice to look at all the aspects. It helped me to make a better decision for my purposes. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if the "some dreamer" reference was aimed at me, but if so, I won't argue that I do dream of owning many beautiful, amazing watches, both vintage and new. Unfortunately, my income level will not allow my dreams to be reality, so I have to spend my limited means wisely. However, I will point out that a dreamer never takes action and I do intend to actually buy a watch. I just want to learn as much as I can first and there is SO much to learn. I don't want to just jump on the first lovely piece to catch my eye and then regret it once I get it home and realize it will look overdressed for my usual jeans and converse outfits.

I am interested in your opinion on the Calatrava model as it seems that you feel it holds value with or without papers (if I understood correctly). Is that different from other Patek models in some way? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts