WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first time posting on these forums, but I've been lurking for a while. I just started getting into watches a few months ago and since then I've purchased a Tissot, Skagen and a Torgeon, all between the 250-500 range.

I'm interested in a military watch with an olive green band and I thought I found one that I liked on ebay.

After doing some research, I'm pretty sure the case is original but the dial on the watch face is fake, I've never seen a stamped hamilton two diamond logo on the cover before.

Now I'm just a 28 year old watch novice so what do I know. I did some searching and found bits of information here and there, but I was wondering if anyone of the experts here can lend a hand.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to hanging around here alot more.

Vietnam war era military wrist watch Hamilton . | eBay

P.S.- If you guys know of any other watches that fit this style, please recommend them! My price range is between 250-500 dollars, thanks :)

-Stergios

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There's a lot of odd things about that watch that are concerning...

1. It comes from Vietnam
2. The engraving of the back with Hamilton and Ord Dept
3. The engravings of the back without govt contract info or the mil spec info.
4. Most of these era military watches were one piece cases, not two piece, although some versions were screw back cases.
5. The Hamilton logo on the dial is a "maybe"
6. No movement picture, given the ease of a screw off back.

I've done a little research on these types of watches but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. But any of the six things above would make me suspicious and given them all at the same time, I'd say keep looking if you want the "real deal".

You have basically the Mil-W-46374 and the GG-W-113. The latter is an aviators watch and should hack (stop when you pull out the crown). The former also could have a letter after it (46374A, B, etc) to denote the contract that it was made under. Hamilton didn't supply all contracts. Certain contract had screw back cases but I think it was later ones (like D, etc). There are also European and Canadian military watches similarly styled. So you really need to do your homework if you want to make an informed buy.

I once bought one of these watches stamped GG-W-113 that looked pretty "official" to my novice eyes and when I got it the watch didn't hack. Other subtleties like the lack of a dome on the crystal made be think it was a fake. The seller took it back no questions asked and didn't squawk about my feedback saying I thought it was fake. Kind of makes you wonder there too... if it was real, wouldn't you try to claim it was?

Anyway, after learning more and more about vintage Hamiltons, I've gotten to the point where I don't really understand the appeal of these watches any more. They were meant to be disposable so they're not high quality movements (sometimes using 7 jewel movements I think) and there are a lot of fakes for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I like this one... a US Navy automatic.

Really?

PS: I especially like the HIL-W-xxxx. As opposed to, say, MIL-W-xxxx.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fake

Fake, Fake, Fake...

The OP asked about Item 160712675157. Where to begin...

Hamilton rarely had their name on the dial of Vietnam era watches. Several notable exceptions are the W10 Model, any 6B model, and the 6BB model.

The back is completely fake. There are one piece (open through crystal) and two piece cases for Hamilton military watches, but not with a back like this or markings like this. For instance, Hamilton made a Model GG-W-113 Watch in both one-piece (early) and two-piece (later) cases.

The watch is listed as automatic. That is a quick tip off since the movements should me manual.

There is no pic of the movement. That means there is something to hide. This watch has a two-piece case, so there is no reason to not show a pic of the movement. One piece cases are trickier, so I can understand why a seller may not want to open a one piece case to show the movement, but a two piece case only requires a minute to open.

It's from Vietnam... a hotbed of fakes.

So, stay away from it. There are a lot of great Military Hamiltons available for in the $100 to $250 range. Some are better than others. The Mil-W-46374B watches are readily available, and they have the cool H3 and Nuke symbol on the dial, but only a 7j movement. Instead, look for a Mil-W-46374D which has the dial symbols and an excellent (Swiss) 17j movement.

I also like the GG-W-113's. They were made by Hamilton (as well as Benrus, and even Marathon and Glycine). They all have hacking 17j movements, though they do not have H3 and Nuke symbols on the dial.

If you ever have a question about the legitimacy of a Hamilton Military Watch, post here or send me a PM and I'll try and help.

-Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
The other one also looks suspicious...

On the other one... 380401719561, I also have some concerns.

• A lot of fake military watches seem to come through Oz.
  • The overall shape of the case looks wrong.
  • There are no dashes in the Fed Stock Number.
  • The crown is wrong (though not always a good indicator).
  • The variable numbers (like the date and the serial number) look poorly spaced.
  • There are spring bars on the case instead of fixed bars.
  • The seller is using the word "rare" so many times that usually raises a red flag for me.

Another poster said they don't understand the appeal of these watches. I really like them for a lot of reasons such as: There are a lot of people who served in Vietnam or had a relative who did, so it's a nice way to make that connection. They are well made, and built to last. Many of them are very accurate and hack. They have striking looking black dials.

I don't know why so many fakes are out there, especially since the ROI of constructing a fake isn't really there, especially considering that $200 will get a nearly pristine version of these watches.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I originally thought they were cool for the same reasons you mention Chris. But with time they've lost their appeal due to the preponderance of fakes, and the fact that most are post the 1969 Hamilton golden years. From a military standpoint, still pretty cool. But I'd rather focus on WWII or Korea era watches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the replies guys, I've learned about how to spot a fake one of these from all the info you've given.

If anyone knows of a good source for a real version of this watch, please let me know. I'd love something in the same type of military style along with the olive colored band, particularly one that looks worn or vintage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts