WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me is this is a vise clamp or movement holder or a staking tool of some kind? Not a watchmaker and this was my dads and can’t quite figure it out. Thanks so much!
Wood Auto part Space Engineering Font
Ruler Wood Office ruler Calipers Font

·
Super Moderator
15,850 Posts
My vote is for a watch case holder (I have one quite similar, but made with more modern materials. The knurled knob adjusts the clamp for cases of differing sizes, and the padded posts keep the case firmly stationary. It is a priceless tool for when you have to unscrew the back of the watch case and replace it later.
And while you could in theory use it to hold a movement, I think the metal surfaces would scratch up the face of the inverted movement!
Font Wood Art Metal Engineering

BTW: as you're looking at the tool, the "lower" metal block needs to be rotated 180 degrees
so that both of the longer sides face each other!
Product Lego Toy Font Machine

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
My vote is for a watch case holder (I have one quite similar, but made with more modern materials. The knurled knob adjusts the clamp for cases of differing sizes, and the padded posts keep the case firmly stationary. It is a priceless tool for when you have to unscrew the back of the watch case and replace it later.
And while you could in theory use it to hold a movement, I think the metal surfaces would scratch up the face of the inverted movement!
View attachment 226789

BTW: as you're looking at the tool, the "lower" metal block needs to be rotated 180 degrees
so that both of the longer sides face each other!
View attachment 226790
OK...you got me. Case holder it is. My terminology is still a little weak.

·
Super Moderator
15,850 Posts
It's only because I've used one a ton of times.... otherwise, I'd have been totally clueless!

Reactions: GDGD_2231

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much - now it makes sense - it was put together incorrectly.
So appreciate your helpfulness. Cheryl

·
Super Moderator
15,850 Posts
My pleasure. Take care!

Reactions: GDGD_2231
1 - 10 of 10 Posts