WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are electroplate, which is why I never really cared for one unless it had a flawless case. I saw that one, and thought it looked a little rough around the edges.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $150 as anything more is beyond economical repair. That poor watch had a hard life and probably some water damage too looking at the state of the hands :crying:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Thanks guys. Guess not a bad buy for restoration or spare parts, esp fot those looking at sourcing a correct crystal(assuming thats the correct crystal) for their GP's. I checked other sales and the caseback does say "Electroplate" if look closely, comparing this one
Vintage Accutron EXTREMELY Rare 100th Anniversary Model, "Tuning Fork" Shaped Asymmetric Case, All Original, All American Made, A3850-LNFJ
Even that watch is pretty rough. The mvt. date is M8 and case date is M9 - that's an ok date spread. Specific case date is April 1969.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
meant shouldn't Anniversaries be from 1975 unless you are refering to some other watch:) [for some reason I am unable to edit my posts]
They were only 1975. No date on the 214 case back. May be the only 214 issued w/o a date on the case back. The mvt. should be stamped N5 at the top back. My 230 mvt. 100th Anniv. case does have an N5 date stamp on the case back.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Shouldn't it be a "Hack"? I thought that all of the later cushion case and anniversary models had the hack spring or is that only standard on the swiss models? How did you determine the movement and case dates? I don't see the date code in the photo of the back and there is no photo of the movement from the back?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Shouldn't it be a "Hack"? I thought that all of the later cushion case and anniversary models had the hack spring or is that only standard on the swiss models? How did you determine the movement and case dates? I don't see the date code in the photo of the back and there is no photo of the movement from the back?
At the very top of the mvt. plate, above the tuning fork, will be the date stamp. As to the hack spring, I'm still confused about that one. The one on Boomer's website linked to a few replies back is original and does not have the hack spring. Mine does not either and I have seen another totally original NOS with the original special leather band w/o the hack spring. Go figure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should Anniversaries be from 1975?
At the very top of the mvt. plate, above the tuning fork, will be the date stamp. As to the hack spring, I'm still confused about that one. The one on Boomer's website linked to a few replies back is original and does not have the hack spring. Mine does not either and I have seen another totally original NOS with the original special leather band w/o the hack spring. Go figure.
was the hack spring a modification Accutron offered as an option that could be put on watches without a hack spring?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
was the hack spring a modification Accutron offered as an option that could be put on watches without a hack spring?
The hack spring was present on the 214 Astronaut and Railroad from the start. One can be added to any 214 mvt. - even the very earliest - so I would think Bulova had planed from the start for this feature. I don't think it was intended as an option but was there for anyone wishing to have one. I had Ludmil install one on my 214 Spaceview when it had to go back for the crystal replacement. I have also heard the hack spring can be a little troublesome, causing some problems with operation.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Went for $282, am sure someone will restore it nicely if they don't use it for spares!:)
I think it probably will be restored. It isn't in terrible condition and does have the elusive original crystal. Replacement crystals w/o printed logo are $95 + S&H. The case could be left as is, proudly displaying it's hard life with just the mvt. restored. Interestingly, I have seem a number of these watches with replaced mvts. Again, maybe because the case was so bulky and heavy and received a lot of hard knocks or hit the floor really hard when dropped.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it probably will be restored. It isn't in terrible condition and does have the elusive original crystal. Replacement crystals w/o printed logo are $95 + S&H. The case could be left as is, proudly displaying it's hard life with just the mvt. restored. Interestingly, I have seem a number of these watches with replaced mvts. Again, maybe because the case was so bulky and heavy and received a lot of hard knocks or hit the floor really hard when dropped.
Just an FYI on this one, it is going to be restored :p NOt sure what happened but it ended up relisted and I snagged it! I prefer the gray chapter ring/square hand spaceviews like the anniversary and the "T".

It is pretty rough but I think it will come back nicely.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.