WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Saturday and I'm deferring the moment when I have to get up and get organised. The cat's fed, coffee's drunk, fruit ingested so it's one last stab at a second thread before I do indeed have to attend to the rest of the day.

So pals, is there anything you'd steer clear off when considering watches? I'm not talking brands, more characteristics or aspects of a watch.

I never go anywhere near red dials. Red's not my colour. I can accept it as the colour of some writing on a watch but that's about it. While I like the Gemini IV LE, the splash of red on the caseback is a little distracting. That cannot be helped of course since it was the mission patch of Gemini IV but the same splash of red on the front wouldn't be my thing. I'm not too keen on tang and buckle fasteners for straps either, preferring instead a deployment clasp which is more secure since the watch is already reasonably safe on your wrist before you secure the clasp.

And you pals? Is or are there anything you'd rather not have on a watch?

Y'all have a good weekend now and let's keep talking :thumbup1:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Well, now you mention dials...

I don't like red, blue or yellow dials, actually I prefer my dials black, white or champaign.

And the size is important to me, not too big.

For example the 2254 was , sadly for me, too big for me..:sad:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's relative and impression-giving, isn't it pal? The 2254.50 has a 41mm dial while in effect, when the chrono pushers are taken into account I think the Speedy Pro is slightly bigger. Would you agree?

I liked the size of my 42.2mm Blue AT and because it was thin, it wore very well. The 42mm PO seemed big on a bracelet but fine on a strap.

Be well now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I agree, the Speedy is actually bigger, but somehow the shape of the case makes it look smaller on the wrist.

Really, I tried the 2254 several times on my wrist, and it really looks way too big on my tiny wrists...:sad::sad:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing about divers for me is that the bezel takes up so much room. It can't be helped I know but I prefer to see a lot of dial on my watch. Size matters...
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Later pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Two tones, gold-tone watches, Roman numerals, square or rectangular (watches with corners) and watches smaller than 40 mm are things I avoid.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's Saturday and I'm deferring the moment when I have to get up and get organised. The cat's fed, coffee's drunk, fruit ingested so it's one last stab at a second thread before I do indeed have to attend to the rest of the day.

So pals, is there anything you'd steer clear off when considering watches? I'm not talking brands, more characteristics or aspects of a watch.

I never go anywhere near red dials. Red's not my colour. I can accept it as the colour of some writing on a watch but that's about it. While I like the Gemini IV LE, the splash of red on the caseback is a little distracting. That cannot be helped of course since it was the mission patch of Gemini IV but the same splash of red on the front wouldn't be my thing. I'm not too keen on tang and buckle fasteners for straps either, preferring instead a deployment clasp which is more secure since the watch is already reasonably safe on your wrist before you secure the clasp.

And you pals? Is or are there anything you'd rather not have on a watch?

Y'all have a good weekend now and let's keep talking :thumbup1:

ZIN

I really like the white with black accent sub-dials on the Legend Speedy but the red name on the back casing has me in a gray area. I'm not fussy on peoples names on my watch but events or special dates are fine. I wonder if I can get the Schumacher name removed??? :001_tt2:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I stay away from the following:

1. Watches smaller than 41mm
2. Non-Swiss manufactured
3. Square cases
4. Diamonds (on my wifes OK, but mine :scared:)

I have a TAG Formula One with red dial, that I actually like, which I never thought I would. I prefer black dials, with the exception of the above TAG, and my SMP.

M

·
0 Posts
Well here's my non-shopping list -

1. Square

2. Diamonds

3. Red dial

I think that's about it.....

MWW

·
Registered
78 Posts
MOP Faces, GOLD, and DIAMONDS.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MOP Faces, GOLD, and DIAMONDS.
Ah yes MOP.

Great on Ladies watches but I'm struggling with it on something pour le hombre.

Gold's OK in moderation. Again, it seems to work well on a Ladies watch imho and that could be that a larger mens' model makes it a little too ostentatious.

My 2c

Be well Mr Sparks:001_smile:

ZIN

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mr JAS1125

I'd agree on butterfly clasps too. A deployment clasp is so much neater imho.

Have a nice weekend :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Watches I avoid like the plague:
thin dress watches
any bling,no diamonds or gems
maybe the rare occasion of two tone,never all gold
sizes under 38mm and over 45mm
plastic
titanium

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well,
I'll have to remember never to buy a gold, square watch with diamonds and a red dial.

What I don't care for - that magnified date window. I can't read my date unless it's under direct sunlight or I have my readers on, but that's okay. I like the uncluttered crystal.

tony

1 - 20 of 56 Posts