WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the antithesis of a watch snob. However, I have some mental aversion to watches that display the Swiss Movt marking at the 6. Anyone else feel this way. I have no problem at all with "Japan Movt" on the dial and own a couple of Grand Divers that display this marking. Something about that I don't mind. I really like the looks of some of the older Renatos and have always wanted one, but the Swiss Movt marking has prevented a purchase. Why can't they just leave it blank if it is not Swiss Made. It seems to be an overt advertisement that most of the watch is made elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)
does not offend me at all.
I have three 9937, 9938, and a 9939. some of the best timekeepers I
own,.....

:):)
diver88

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I'm no watch snob, either and my collection attests to that.

However, consider the following:

From Wikipedia:

A watch movement is considered Swiss when the movement has been assembled in Switzerland and, when the movement has been inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland and;
the components of Swiss manufacture account for at least 50 percent of the total value, without taking into account the cost of assembly.

If a watch movement is intended for export and will not be cased-up in Switzerland, but it otherwise meets the criteria to be considered a Swiss movement, the watch may say "Swiss Movement" but it may not say Swiss Made on the watch case or dial.
[emphasis mine]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made

It is not in accordance with Swiss law to abbreviate the word "movement" on the dial or case of a Swiss watch, i.e., Swiss Movt.

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php#2.2

Japan has no such law, so it is not indicative of anything essential that movement is abbreviated.

For myself, if I'm going to pay a premium for a Swiss watch, I want it to comply with industry standards, which in Switzerland is Swiss law.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
To me-

Japan Mov't = low priced ,decent quality watch

Swiss Mov't =high priced,decent quality watch

Swiss Made=moderate to very high priced good to great quality watch.

Made in Japan=low to high priced good to great quality watch

Assembled in the finest factories in the world (AKA "parts unknown")= only his hairdresser knows for sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It really doesnt bother me but given a choice I would rather it say nothing or better still ETA 2824 movement at the 6 o'clock positon.

·
Banned
927 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about it is that it seems to be a subtle attempt at deception, as the Swiss "rules" have no such designation and it may confuse some people into believing that the watch is Swiss made.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
To me-

Japan Mov't = low priced ,decent quality watch

Swiss Mov't =high priced,decent quality watch

Swiss Made=moderate to very high priced good to great quality watch.

Made in Japan=low to high priced good to great quality watch

Assembled in the finest factories in the world (AKA "parts unknown")= only his hairdresser knows for sure.
Foggy, you put it well. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about it is that it seems to be a subtle attempt at deception, as the Swiss "rules" have no such designation and it may confuse some people into believing that the watch is Swiss made.
my thoughts exactly randy.... you beat me to it.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
@banned, I'm with you. Either it's Swiss Made or I don't buy it (unless the watch itself is too tempting to resist, which hasn't happened yet!)

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
There are interesting timepieces from all around the world.
Check out some of the higher end Japanese pieces. Very nice - though by and large I'm a Swiss Made guy, too

·
Registered
9 Posts
I buy a watch based on look and size first...

I have Swiss Made, Swiss Movt, and Non-Swiss watches and love them all.

I even have a Marc Ecko with a Swiss Movt...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel the Swiss Mov't or Swiss Movt at the six o'clock position cheapens the look of the watch. I'd prefer it say Swiss Made or nothing at all. It just comes across as an attempt to decieve the consumer.

I see made in Germany on many dials and I think that is great; no attempt at deception in that case. JMO.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to clarify, I'm not adversed to caseback swiss movt. Just on the dial. I have a swiss legend that says nothing on the dial, but China is prominently displayed on the clasp. As long as it's not on the dial I'm O.K.

MANIAC...Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting on my thread. Nice watch BTW.

You too Wristwatch73.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts