WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always admired the Stauer "Viator". It is a 46mm watch with a domed crystal, and a globe map of the world for the dial. While looking around on the net for the best deal, I found an Akribos model that is the exact same watch. The only difference being that Akribos ruins the watch by putting their name over the top half of the dial, ruining the effect. I got curious, and discovered that Arkibos is owned by Stuhrling. But why would they also have duplications of Stauer watches, unless it is all the same company?:confused1:

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
The same thing happens in a lot of industries. Cadillac, Pontiac, and Chevrolet (and Saturn before they were shut down) are owned by GM and sometimes you see similar models with different names. The two seat convertible Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice were basically the same car with some minor changes to the body panels. Groceries are the same too - look at two or three different brands of apple juice that have the same exact bottle but different labels. That's the way things are. In watches, Tudor and Rolex use the same Sub case with different movements inside. For years, Patek, Vacheron, and Audemars used JLC ebauchés that were finished a little differently. Just buy the model with the features you like the most.

·
Registered
751 Posts
opie--think of those watches like your aint bea's chicken or barney's salt and pepper suit. your pa would say: son, if you wanna go fishing you gotta get a worm and worms a worm but some worms have fish catching looks to them. just sit back, enjoy your watch and have some of otis' shine.

·
Super Moderator
16,557 Posts
....But why would they also have duplications of Stauer watches,...
Actually, it's the other way around. Stauer's claim to fame is that they duplicate the look of other selected brands of watches and plainly state as much in their ads. Stauer has very few original designs and borrow heavily from the distinctive appearances of such brands as Breguet, Longines, RGM, Chronoswiss, and apparently Akribos to name but a few.

·
Registered
751 Posts
opie, do you remember when ernst t. bass came into town wearing a stauer watch? he was plum mad that it stopped and started throwing rocks through floyd's window. helen told ernst that when you buy junk it will break down. junk? well the stauer watch you mentioned has a water resistance of only 3 atm--heck, you pull out a fish from meyer's lake and if water dribbles on it it is likely to seep in. shoot, it has an unnamed chinese movement that could be as fast as ernst t. bass or as slow as one of the darlings. my advice is to go to mt. pilot and see if there are better made watches.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
opie, do you remember when ernst t. bass came into town wearing a stauer watch? he was plum mad that it stopped and started throwing rocks through floyd's window. helen told ernst that when you buy junk it will break down. junk? well the stauer watch you mentioned has a water resistance of only 3 atm--heck, you pull out a fish from meyer's lake and if water dribbles on it it is likely to seep in. shoot, it has an unnamed chinese movement that could be as fast as ernst t. bass or as slow as one of the darlings. my advice is to go to mt. pilot and see if there are better made watches.

I have a Vacheron with a WR of 3 ATM? What are you saying?

·
Registered
751 Posts
world war 2 buff--there is a difference between a good quality watch and its ability to withstand accidential splashes (description of 3 atm w.r.) and a cheap watch and its ability to just stay together and not fall apart

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Point taken. I'm not expecting great quality. I just like the looks. It's unique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.