WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is quite simple. I enjoy several different shooting sports, involving rifles, shotguns and handguns. Is shooting to much "Shock" for my watch?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hi FAL guy.

How much g is generated by the acceleration of a shot gun/hand gun recoiling?

Somebody here may be able to answer your question if they new this. I know the cal. 321 and 861 were subject to 20gs acceleration during NASAs tests, which they passed OK.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Mr FAL Guy

Indeed an important issue in watch care :thumbup1:

That said, I wouldn't shoot my watches :eek:

It really would be more than a watch can bear

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry my friend, couldn't help that but as you know, there just has to be one in every forum... :001_rolleyes:

I'll leave the technical stuff to those who know.

Keep enjoying your Omega and hope you're well pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi FAL guy.

How much g is generated by the acceleration of a shot gun/hand gun recoiling?

Somebody here may be able to answer your question if they new this. I know the cal. 321 and 861 were subject to 20gs acceleration during NASAs tests, which they passed OK.
Probably not, unless the gun is kicking back right into your watch. But, if you want to be safe, where a sport watch when participating in a sport. G-shocks and others are made for such things. On Timezone.com, I saw a thread of "what watch do you wear to the gym?". A few were wearing normal sport watches, others were wearing the "sport" version of some insanely expensive watches. One guy was wearing his Patek Phillipe. Sorry, that's just nuts. There's the dress watch you wear with a suit, there's the dressy sport watch (expensive diver or pilot styles) that you wear with business casual, and there's the beat it up playing racket ball sport watch (then there's the old, worn out sport watch you wear changing the oil in your car). I would recommend one of the last two if you are concerend.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
THere was an enormous debate on this in the archive. Some will not even swing a golf club with their watch, while others keep theirs on playing golf, in the gym, etc.

Certainly, you could contact Omega to get a definitive answer; but, I would be curious to hear this debate again. For the most part, I keep my watches on during activity, and it has been ok.

One thing I would also like to hear about, has anyone noticed any difference in their watch after going on G-force rides? (roller coasters, etc.)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Probably not a big deal with a rifle depending on shooting position and how much energy is being absorbed by your body and shoulder. Handgun puts most of the energy into your arms and wrists first. Seems like it would be a significant G load and 50-100 rounds a significant pounding. When you consider that an improperly crimped bullet can be forced out of it's case in a revolver chamber the load has to be intense.
Mike

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Nunz is right; the handgun will cause the most stress, particularly if it is a powerful one. I would use nothing less than a watch designed to take some abuse. My Rolex Submariner has been subjected to heavy recoil from high-power handguns with no problem. But to play it safe, take the watch off.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I wouldn't wear an expensive watch for shooting.

I would wear a G-Shock, however.

Unless, you're filthy rich, what's the point?

I'm thinking of the outrageously expensive Pro Hunter version of the Rolex that was posted recently.

Why spend $20,000 to wear a customized Rolex while hunting, when there are dozens of watches that are specifically designed for such activities that can be had from less than a hundred dollars to just a few hundred.

Exposing a watch to unnecessary forces just doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've heard people on this forum say they shoot with their SMP's without a problem. You should be OK. After all, it is an Omega.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:)
I have done it. 12ga, 9mm, 45cal with my Omegas.

I asked my watchmaker later if it would hurt anything, he said probably not but if anything the accuracy might be affected. probably not permanent damage or anything.

as of late, I've been wearing something else after the 45cal brass ricochets off of the crystal a couple of times.

my Alpha gets shooting duty now...:)

diver88:):)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts