WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's decision time once more. It happens to be the start of watch season, and it's coming down to a few vintage buys or a major modern purchase. Here's the root of the problem:

The new AT caliber 8500 with the blue dial. Owned a caliber 2500C 36.5 mm AT before and liked the looks. Swore I'd buy the new 8500 mid-size if Omega ever came out with a blue dialed version (as in THIS THREAD) - and here it is, almost as if they listened. Scary, huh? :scared::laugh: Tried a grey dialed version on at the Omega Boutique in NYC and dug it immensely. Of course, recent purchases like GETS' AT aren't helping the to abate the desire. The problem arises when I look at my 34 mm Portofino. It's a rock steady performer and a great looking watch too. One has to go because I only want a single modern blue dialed watch. Now that I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket the itch is getting worse. What's an addict to do?

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless your set on new, why not get it when Richie Rich gets bored with a blue dialed AT and sells at a bargain in about 6months I'm sure.
Normally that's exactly what I'd do. The problem is resale is very good on them, so much so that it might only be a few hundred more to grab a new one. Knowing I like the dimensions already makes it easier to justify, especially when you add that you get the warranty with it.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
why not pool that money (portofino and omega) and find something truly special?

I think GO do some nice blue dials and they're a reasonable size

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's C D O - in alph-freakin'-betical order!!!! :T

why not pool that money (portofino and omega) and find something truly special?

I think GO do some nice blue dials and they're a reasonable size
GP does a great one - the palladium case 1966. The problem is I don't like anything GO or GP makes over the AT, especially at double the money or more.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It's an amazing watch ... Tried one on here at the boutique (although in 38.5 mm) and ALMOST broke out the wallet right there. If it hadn't been the boutique and the nagging knowledge that I knew I was going to get ripped off, it would have been bought on the spot.

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
I dunno...I think after the initial giddiness of a new purchase wears off, you're going to be really sorry you let go of that IWC.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plus looking at your collection you have enough leather to make a belt:w00t:, you do need some Links.
Not much of a bracelet guy. I do have the Pilot's bracelet for the Chrono Cockpit and like it. I just rarely put it back on the watch.

It's an amazing watch ... Tried one on here at the boutique (although in 38.5 mm) and ALMOST broke out the wallet right there. If it hadn't been the boutique and the nagging knowledge that I knew I was going to get ripped off, it would have been bought on the spot.
I know what you mean. Luckily I've got a VERY good relationship with an AD who carries several of my favorite modern brands (Omega, JLC, Breitling). Even know their watchmaker pretty good. :wink:

I dunno...I think after the initial giddiness of a new purchase wears off, you're going to be really sorry you let go of that IWC.
Mmmmm, I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time I've had flipper's remorse, but I really am smitten with the 38.5 mm AT. Seeing as I'm trying to move my collection towards in-house (in this case in-group) this is a sensible move - if anything a WIS does can be called sensible.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Hi All,

Here are my impressions of the AT as a buyer (you never really get to rate a watch until you've owned it for a bit).

Finish 7/10 - ordinary quality to be honest. No major flaws but doesn't have that x factor that makes you go "wow"
Accuracy 6/10 - 23 seconds gained in just nearly 6 days of testing (gaining just under 4 seconds a day)
Bracelet 6/10 - a bit tinny to be really called quality. It's perfectly ok but it doesn't feel sturdy or top quality (compare it to the AP RO bracelet and clasp and they are worlds apart)
Dial - 7/10 - quite a pretty watch in my opinion but the date window is a little small and the way it tapers to the left is a bit unnecessary
Caseback 9/10 - Sapphire crystal - shows the movement really well which is aesthetically pleasing and nicely finished. In addition it has nice quality engraving on the case surround which I appreciate

So overall I would probably give this watch 7/10. It's perfectly ok for the price but I'm not wowed.

I have to say that if the Aqua Terra is indicative of Omega quality versus price point then I think they are better than average but nothing special. Just my impressions so far.

Regards,

·
Registered
466 Posts
World's Best mov't

Hi All,

Here are my impressions of the AT as a buyer (you never really get to rate a watch until you've owned it for a bit).

Finish 7/10 - ordinary quality to be honest. No major flaws but doesn't have that x factor that makes you go "wow"
Accuracy 6/10 - 23 seconds gained in just nearly 6 days of testing (gaining just under 4 seconds a day)
Bracelet 6/10 - a bit tinny to be really called quality. It's perfectly ok but it doesn't feel sturdy or top quality (compare it to the AP RO bracelet and clasp and they are worlds apart)
Dial - 7/10 - quite a pretty watch in my opinion but the date window is a little small and the way it tapers to the left is a bit unnecessary
Caseback 9/10 - Sapphire crystal - shows the movement really well which is aesthetically pleasing and nicely finished. In addition it has nice quality engraving on the case surround which I appreciate

So overall I would probably give this watch 7/10. It's perfectly ok for the price but I'm not wowed.

I have to say that if the Aqua Terra is indicative of Omega quality versus price point then I think they are better than average but nothing special. Just my impressions so far.

Regards,
What about the Co-Axial 8500 movement?
You got one of the world's best movement there, Bro.........:cool1:
That is one movement I want in my collection.

The dial, IMO I think 38mm is a tat too small.................

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That would be about right - it's certainly no Lange, VC, or AP. And that's just what I'm looking for - a decent watch for my days off.

Don't take too long to think about it.....

They'll hike the price, again.
Yeah, the first one of each year usually comes between March & May. :001_tongue:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.