WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I was doing some strength training previously and was always interested in how those guys trained to find out more. Haven't done any for a while dur to injuries but would like to do more again. Never competed, though. Have you competed? How did you go?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G-Day Wombat! I competed in the Florida Police & Fire Games in '04 - '06. I did not do very well but had a BLAST!

I turned 40 last year and gave myself a 400lb (or approximately 181.82 kilos) bench press. I LOVE powerlifting.

Basically you are talking about rep ranges from 1-5 and training with say 75% (of your one-rep max) and up with weight.

Let's assume you can bench 200lb. Start with an empty bar for 4-5 reps. These are for warm-ups. Then go to 80lb (40%) for 2 reps. You are concentrating on form and an explosive push off your chest. Next is 50% for 2 reps. Then 55% for 2 more. Then 60% for 2. At 65% do 1 rep. From 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 92.5, 95, 97.5, 100 these are all 1 repetitions.

This will give you an idea of where your strength level is. This is a total of 23 reps. You have not done mindless reps. That is basically what I do for chest. You can modifiy it (keeping the percentages) for incline press as well.

I also use powerlifting gear when appropriate. If you are "rehabbing," google "board presses." It is a range of motion way to increase your bench. It is amazing. Happy lifting. :cool1: Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.