WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/FL_Investor/Deep_Blue_DayNight_Ops/DB_Dec.jpg

....well, not exactly but there is some help (although its digital vs. optical)..

We all know that small sensor P&S cameras, phone cameras etc. cannot really
show a nice bokeh like DSLRs with a fast lens, but here is at least some help.
Main thing - it is a very convenient and fast workaround just using the phone,
without any extensive software post processing.

Recently I made Camera+ (v2.4) my default camera on my iPhone (replacing the iOS camera).
It comes with many neat pre-sets and what I really like is that it allows exposure lock !!
One of the many creative settings is 'miniature' (used above) that gives a pretty decent 'quasi-bokeh'.

Other neat features are: built in image framing, WB lock, 36 quick filters/effects, direct saving to Camera Roll,
self timer mode, easy web sharing (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr), stabilizer, burst mode etc. Basically, it is
a Camera with quick edits built-in. (regular iPhone OS camera has no editing features).

Give it a shot, it is one of the best $1.99 I have spent on iPhone app.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

.......another one I tried today with iPhone & Camera +
(the one in the original post shows the "miniature" effect, this second one uses "depth of field" effect.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You are misusing the term a little bit.

Depth of Field (DOF) refers to how much of the scene is in/out of focus. The smaller the sensor, the shorter the focal length required for the same field of view, the deeper the DOF (more of the scene is in focus). This is an objective measurement, there are a number of calculators that will show you what distance range will be in focus given a sensor, focal length, and aperture combo.

Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus areas. It is purely an objective measurement, further compounded by "how much" out of focus the areas are.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think you misunderstood my post ;-) I am well aware what DOF and bokeh mean.

I wrote:
"iPhone - no bokeh ? No problem ! ;)
....well, not exactly but there is some help (although its digital vs. optical).."

I was more-less a tongue-in-cheek comment (winking face after the subject) describing
the iPhone app that can give an illusion of bokeh/defocus.

The two features under "effects' that I used with this app were 'miniature' and 'Depth of field'
.....that's really all I tried to say

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post ;-) I am well aware what DOF and bokeh mean.
Clearly not, because you continue to misue them :)

I get where you're coming from, and "no bokeh, no problem" sounds a lot better than "Infinite DOF? No problem"!

Bokeh is an aesthetic judgement on how the out of focus area appears, and it's very dependent on lens construction - how many aperture blades, whether they are straight of curved, the optical design of the lens, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Hey Milos!

I understood you just fine. :biggrin:

Camera + is one of those apps I've got but haven't played with enough.

It looks like that "miniature" effect attempts to mimic the effect of a tilt-shift lens? The DOF effect is more self-explanatory, and does produce as sort of digital bokeh.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It will be interesting to see how digital DOF compensation evolves over the next few years with camera phones, Pentax Q, and Nikon 1 needing it so badly.

·
Banned
307 Posts
interesting. Bokeh is a 'new' term to us old school shooters, as we simply called it 'circles of confusion' a technical term in optics.
Indeed the small lens/small aperture cameras are annoying in that they don't deliver much selective focus (yes, it's called that when you have a limited depth of field). So this App is nice to use and in conjunction with a little manual work in post, fixes those obvious border regions.
Someone mentioned the evolution of this algorithm- and i concur, it will be interesting to see how it develops, as this current version seems a bit crude. Why they can't introduce a bokeh gradient from center to edges of the frame is a mystery- because it looks like a uniform treatment outside the center of frame. but it will come

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Thanks for the information pal!

regardless of hair-splitting on terminology (that's quite honestly completely besides the original point you were making) it seems to be a nice little ap. Especially considering it's being used on a friggin' camera phone! I'm off to iTunes to buy it.

Thanks! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you like it guys !

I'd suggest that you really DO SPEND 5 minutes and read all the info, features and settings.
I had this thing for months before someone else turned me on what it could do.

Did you know that in addition to flash you can turn on the flash LED for continuous illumination ?
.....or that you can lock WB before you recompose ??

Read all the text, click on all of the links and watch the short video:
Camera+ ...the ultimate photo app

1 - 12 of 12 Posts