WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From Gizmodo:

"Camera features

They have also updated the camera. On paper, it's better than the one in iPhone 4S with a new dynamic low light mode too (I wonder how it compares to Nokia's IOS) and a sapphire crystal. Knowing how scratched the glass on my iPhone is—making the photos not as crisp as when it was new—that's good news. Shapphire crystal is the hardest thing you can get this side of a diamond.

Like the 4S, it has five-element optics and a 8 megapixel sensor (3264 x 2448 pixel), backside illumination, a hybrid infrared filter, and a nice f/2.4 aperture.

The new image processing chip has spatial noise reduction, with a system to analyze which parts of the image needs to be noise reduced and which should be left alone. As a result of all this, they claim low light photography is now much better than before.

The image capture is also faster: 40 percent, they say. The iPhone 4S camera is now quite fast, so it will be interesting to see how this feels. Certainly, there's not such a thing as fast enough when it comes to taking photos.

Panorama mode
They have also added a new capture mode called panorama. It doesn't require you to stitch photos one by one: just pan the phone and it will automatically capture a panorama for you. Even if you can't hold it steady, iPhone 5 is smart, using its gyroscope to correct for any variation in motion and make a perfect panorama. It also gets rid of any moving objects, they say.

The final result covers 240 degrees.

Video face detection
Like the previous iPhone, this one has 1080p FullHD capture. They claim they have improved the image stabilization in this version, added face detection (so it will be able to tag people automatically in videos) and, this is good, it will allow you to take full still photos while recording video.
Front FaceTime camera

They have also make the 720p front camera better with a new backside illuminated sensor. It also has face detection and—at last—the operating system will enable FaceTime over cellular."

See some unprocessed images here:
These Are Unprocessed Images from the New iPhone 5 Camera

Click on the images to see larger size.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
"Camera features

They have also updated the camera. On paper, it's better than the one in iPhone 4S with a new dynamic low light mode too (I wonder how it compares to Nokia's IOS) and a sapphire crystal. Knowing how scratched the glass on my iPhone is—making the photos not as crisp as when it was new—that's good news. Shapphire crystal is the hardest thing you can get this side of a diamond.
On the flip side if dropped it can shatter into a billion pieces, where the glass will break, but usually stay intact. Knowing how many people (including several friends of mine) have dropped their 4S's, cracked the glass and continued using it for awhile and/or then replaced the glass I have to wonder how much these replacement glasses will be. Considering a sapphire watch crystal is what, 3 or 4 times the cost of a glass one, it could be a huge increase in the repair costs. Time to buy stock in OtterBox... :laugh: :laugh:

I've been waiting to see the specs on the 5, but I'm also going to be seriously looking at the other brands. I currently have a 3GS (though have played and used the 4S a lot) and a Samsung Galaxy S II and have to say the Samsung is better in screen size, voice and data as well as overall speed of the device. The battery on the Samsung sucks, but I think most of that is due to my VPN SW running 24*7 (it's my company phone) as other users and the specs show much better battery life. Granted the App Store has more than Android, but I don't use a ton of apps, and most are from large makers who probably have Android apps too. From a personal perspective I'd love to get off Apple, I've never been a fan of them. But I won't cut my nose off to spite my face if the product is the best model for the money.

So I'm not going to preorder the 5, but I'll hold out a final decision on buying another device over it until 1) I see it in person and 2) see the price... :001_unsure:

But the camera features alone do look pretty impressive. Though that's not a big factor for me, I rarely use my phone's camera. But I know many out there consider it a primary camera so it can be a big deal.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The price will be the same as it was for previous models (3Gs, 4 and 4S):

- $199 for 16GB
- $299 for 32GB
- $399 for 64GB

Interesting news is that now iPhone 4 is $0 and 4S is $99.
(all these prices are of course with the usual 2 year contract)

Considering I can (right now) sell my existing (officially unlocked by AT&T !!) iPhone 4
for more that what iPhone 5 costs - there is really not much to think about.
Same goes for my wife - her 3G will sell for what the new 4S costs, so
with both old phones on eBay as I type this - we will be both upgrading
to iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S with no money out of pocket.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The phone was delivered yesterday. The fit and finish is nothing short of amazing as far as consumer products go.
While I did not get a chance to 'really' test the camera for regular pictures, I have to say that the panorama
feature on this phone is the most impressive (and the easiest to use) that I have ever experienced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.