WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a heck of a time finding someone to do a simple bezel insert swap on a pair of 8926s (I'm not confident enough to do it myself).

I ordered the replacement bezel inserts off eBay about three weeks ago, took them and the watches to my normal jeweler last weekend. I asked how much it would cost to pop off the old inserts and glue the new ones in. Their answer: "Sorry, we're not an Invicta dealer, so we won't work on them at all."

My reply was "So, you know I've been considering that Rolex Submariner for a few months now, you'll sell me a $6K watch but aren't willing to do a 5-minute job on a $100 watch?" I understand their explanation ("we can't order replacement parts if we damage the watch") but I'm not happy.

I then took one of the 8926s to another jeweler (closer to my house) and they said "Sure, we'll work on anything, leave it and we'll call you on Monday with an estimate, that shouldn't take long at all." I just got a call from them, and their watch guy said the same thing, "Sorry, I don't work on Invictas."

Can someone recommend (via PM or email) a jewelry store or watch repair place on the west side of Houston that can do this very simple job for me on a couple of 8926s, or point me to one of the site sponsors that might do this sort of work for a decent price?

·
Banned
927 Posts
Check your PM.

Bill... it's really easy to do this. Just take your time in setting the new insert after removing the old one with a sharp instrument by prying it off and then removing the old adhesive. If the inserts did not come with the adhesive, a very small amout of quality cement for metal will work. Just make sure everything's lined up the way you want it before pressing the insert into the bezel channel.

I've done four myself and all are perfect.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Didn't someone post a link to a tutorial on this in the last couple of days? As mechanically disinclined as I am, it seemed like something even I could do...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its very simple to do! Just replaced mine due to I did not like the copper look of the bezel. Found one on ebay from China that was the correct size and the numbers on the bezel were a gold color. Looks great. Just use a razer blade to lift and remove old one. The one I got had glue on it. I peeled the paper of the new one and pressed it on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay - I feel just a little stupid. What I thought was just stiff paper backing for the bezels in their little envelopes is actually peel-and-stick adhesive.

However, wouldn't it need to be double-sided, in order to stick the bezel onto the watch? Am I missing something here? As far as I can tell it's only sticky on one side.

If I can get this mystery figured out, I'll give it a shot on my non-coin-edge 8926 tomorrow when I pick it up from the store that refused to work on it.

·
Banned
927 Posts
It should be double sided tape that is applied to the inserts. One side is already stuck to the insert, right? Then you should be able to CAREFULLY (so as not to peel the already applied adhesive off the insert, which happened to me on one I did) pull the backing off to expose the adhesive side that will attach to the bezel itself.

Again, make sure all of the old adhesive is removed, line everything up properly (especially if it's a scalloped bezel), and carefully place and press the insert into place.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Didn't someone post a link to a tutorial on this in the last couple of days? As mechanically disinclined as I am, it seemed like something even I could do...
Yep, I started a thread here asking how to remove a bezel. Timefinder [as did other members] replied with a Link to a Link here, and on a Rolex Sea Dweller no less. Good stuff, worked like a charm!

·
Banned
927 Posts
I received some with two sided tape, and others that were "naked".

Just remove the old insert and clean the old adhesive and use a very small amount of quality cement suitable for metal (spread carefully around the bezel so that you DO NOT glue the bezel in place). Let it dry per the directions on the cement package. I used WELDER household cement I got at Walmart.

Once you take off the old bezel insert and see what it looks like, you should not have any problem.

DO NOT REMOVE THE ENTIRE BEZEL FROM THE WATCH... ONLY PRY OFF THE INSERT!!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would think it has to be double-sided. Have you tried using the edge of a sharp knife along the edge, to see if maybe it can be separated? Doesn't make sense to have adhesive on just one side. Sometimes that double-sided stuff can have paper over the one side so thin it almost looks like it won't separate.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
...DO NOT REMOVE THE ENTIRE BEZEL FROM THE WATCH... ONLY PRY OFF THE INSERT!!!!
Good point. Why do more work than you have to, and chance damaging something else in the attempt.

I did find an older post by boscoe here, about just the bezel insert with bezel intact.

Since the back paper is slick, especially, I still think it should be double-sided tape but what do I know... I've never done this but I have used plenty of double-sided tape in my life.

·
Banned
927 Posts
Either way, all the possibilities have been addressed. It's really a simple DIY job regardless of whether the insert has tape or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, folks. I'll give it a shot tonight once I pick up the non-coin-edge 8926 after work.

In any case, even if I screw it up I've got a spare replacement bezel - and I've found a place down the street that can do the job as a last resort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it *was* double-sided (the adhesive was VERY thin - almost film-like), and everything went okay.
I put a green (Submariner LV-style) bezel on the non-coin-edge 8926:

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'm going to do the bezel on the 8926C tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
HI Bill,

Aha! See that, this dog does have a long list of tricks and experiences to feed from. From your pics and descriptions I was 99.999% sure it would have double-sided sticky! I'm gald I recalled that from my own experiences and even more glad it helped you. Just take your time, be careful with blades, and I love the new green C/E bezel! I'd like a green C/E bezel myself some day, to put on a black dial 9937 if I ever get another one. Looks so much like the Rolex Sub 50 Anniversary Commemorative with the C/E and green bezel, and I just think it looks coool!

Those were some great info/tutorial Links too, weren't they? I learn allot from the people here, and do my best to teach others to help keep the flow of "good karma" going strong.

Going to bed now, will check in tomorrow. Sure am glad it all worked out and please keep me posted and maybe some more pics too if you get the chance.

G'nite and pleasant dreams of bezel modding, or whatever floats your balance wheel!!!

·
Banned
927 Posts
Great to hear it worked out Bill. Glad we could help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.