WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while - what a great forum!

I bought this beautiful watch off ebay a few months ago. It keeps excellent time, and looks a million dollars (like a Omega Seamaster crossed with a Sea Dweller...). Trouble is in the last month it has developed what looks like spots and fading in the superlume on the bezel triangle and also at the bezel 3.00 marker (it is just more faded than spotty). I could try to post pics if necessary, but wondering what it might be and whether anyone has come across it. I dont know if it worth sending back to the vendor - its not an expensive watch and I have heard some troubling stories on the forums about the process at the manufacturer. It doesnt worry me too much, but its just such a great looking watch and my eye keeps getting drawn to it..

Its weird because at night the lume is very bright - brighter than my 15 year old Tag Heur Pro Diver 200 and at least as good as my Seiko Divers 200 - nice blue too! Actually just checked it again and the lume has faded on the 9.00 position on the bezel also and after being lit with a halogen light the 9, 3 and 12 triangle are all suffering in terms of shine compared to the other markers...bugger

Cheers and thanks
Rover

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I have never owned a lumed bezel- I wonder if it being exposed is the reason that the lume applied paint appears to be "wearing off. "

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Same here, I've never owned a lume bezel. Is the lume "rubbing off" or was it exposed to a cleaning product or other chemical? Maybe it wasn't applied properly to begin with? Does anyone else here own this watch. Are any of you having a similar experience?

Does this watch still fall within a return policy. If it was purchased for the holidays maybe you can still return it by the end of January.

If you can't return it I would advise sending it back to Invicta as it is still covered under warranty. You'll have to send a $28.00 money order for return shipping and handling, pay to ship the watch to them, and probably wait a full 90 days for a repair, but the repair itself should be free of cost. This would be cheaper than the alternative of having someone else attempt a repair. Invicta would probably just change out the bezel.

I hope the issues you're having are not indicative of that entire line of pro divers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the replies.

The bezel's lume appears to have been applied from the underside - ie clear glass/lexin or whatever where the markers are and lume coating applied from the underside, so nothing peeling or rubbing off from the top (user's) side. Also no chemicals, no showering with the watch, not much sun etc.

I might have to get onto Invicta.

Cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
I own one of them and I have to say I haven't had that problem, at least so far anyway. I bought mine off the Bay about 3-4 weeks ago. Here is a current Lume shot of it. Oh your right about the lume its by far one of the best Ive seen from Invicta to date. It lasts longer than any of my others and that includes a Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500 which is known for their lume quality. This blue stays bright a very long time.

[URL="
[/URL]​

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am beginning to think that an Invicta is a bit like a Jeep - if you get a good one great, if you get a bad one, hold on.

Now the bezel has fallen off...and the evidence of glue remaining is very scant.

I have had Seiko's working hard for 10 years that havent had the bezels falling off.

I should have guessed that to make a watch with the (ostensible) specs it has, the look it has, the weight it has, but for the price I might end up troubled - dont get me wrong I still like the watch and the look and feel for sure, but the quality makes me wary to wear it. If I glue the ring back in with good super glue it would probably be better than the factory production though...

The ebay seller has been good about it and is going to turn around a new one for me and send this one back to Invicta, although a new bezel insert ring would suffice, and I would be happy with that because at least if I glued a new one in, I would know it wasnt about to just drop out.

I think for the surf I will still wear my Seiko Professional Divers 200 and for dressy occasions the (modified) Invicta Grand Diver - interesting name because you would trust the Seiko for the same price on a dive, but not the Grand Diver.

Cheers and thanks

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I'm glad things worked out in the end. Always be careful on eBay. There can be some really shady merchandise out there and they charge too much. Check out the discount watch store.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Grumpy - happy to.

Here they are mate. Basically all the hard white (like the colour of the markers on the watch face) have warn away and its a dull off white/grey. Detracts very much at day time and at night there is still lume, but not like when I first got it. When the bezel insert fell off it can be seen that there was only a very small amount of glue used on about 1/4 of the insert (which explained why from new the insert was a TINY bit raised on one side relative to the glass.

In the second photo in particular you can still see the remnants of the white paint on the edge of the numbers.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the photos. This should help others who may encounter the same issue. Let us know the result when you recieve the new one.

·
Registered
306 Posts

I had mentioned to someone previously about the bezel on this particular watch. From what I was told there are a good many of them that had a lot of play in the bezel. Mine feels abnormally loose. I made a inquiry about it and was told that this was a common occurrence on this watch. If you apply some direct pressure on the bezel at (# 30) the bottom marker you can feel and actually see it move up and down. I guess your Ok unless the thing pops completely off (which has happened). It is a QC problem for sure. Im amazed they missed this kind of thing in the final inspection. So far its not an issue on mine, but I can see how it could be very easily.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
intresting, looks like a poor lume adhering process, keep us informed and let us know how the repair goes, I know it sucks having to send it back, but it will get handled and repaird from invicta.

I have never personaly heard of this, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen or hasn't happened to more people.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The potential problem with this watch (a diagram sorta)

As I mentioned about this watch, the bezel seems a bit loose. The posters came completely off. I made some inquires to several people to see if this was a common problem and 3 out of 5 said theirs wasnt as tight as they thought it should be. Oh well, the replys varied most said if it doesn't pop off don't worry about it and that it should be fine. Here is a pic that I used to try and better explain the potential problem.That gap between the bezel and the case isnt much but you sure feel it when you press down on it.

[URL="
[/URL]​

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In a lot of ways I really like this watch...but the Flamefusion scratchs. Not as easily as Hardlex in my Seiko diver though. I hit the watch relatively lightly today on the edge of the slightly protruding glass and it took a chunk out and set up stress fractures in the glass for about a quater inch into the glass.

I am keen to replace it with a sapphire cyrstal (or a Deep Blue 3000m...). Is it a 2.5mm glass...and what are the best places to get it from? Many thanks..

Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
In a lot of ways I really like this watch...but the Flamefusion scratchs. Not as easily as Hardlex in my Seiko diver though. I hit the watch relatively lightly today on the edge of the slightly protruding glass and it took a chunk out and set up stress fractures in the glass for about a quater inch into the glass.

I am keen to replace it with a sapphire cyrstal (or a Deep Blue 3000m...). Is it a 2.5mm glass...and what are the best places to get it from? Many thanks..

Cheers
Landroverphile, I wrote up a post about my Bezel and Crystal, check the link below.
It's on my Grand Diver, 3045.

LINK: Grand Diver, Bezel & Crystal Info.

I don't use Super Glue, on my Bezel Insert.
I stay away from superglue as the cyanoacrylate causes fumes that look nasty.
And can ruin some inserts.
Think Acetone and Plastic.

3m double sided clear adhesive sheets, the thinnest.
An exacto knife, take my time, and have patience.

I may have to remove the Bezel Insert, in the future, with-out destroying it.

Tim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many thanks matey...interesting read. Im not going to attempt that but I spoke to a good watchmaker and he will strip it and put the calipers on the glass. The thing is smack on 35mm on the ruler so we will see but it may be hard to get a sapphire that diameter and still 2.5 to 3mm thick or whatever it is. ..

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
@ timex: what are your thoughts on on us non-professional watch repairers using any of the products like Seiko S314 UV Adhesive or GS Crystal cement? (I'm not singling these out...just using them as general examples.) Anything we should watch out for? Is it altogether a bad idea? Am I worrying too much?

·
Registered
221 Posts
@ timex: what are your thoughts on on us non-professional watch repairers using any of the products like Seiko S314 UV Adhesive or GS Crystal cement? (I'm not singling these out...just using them as general examples.) Anything we should watch out for? Is it altogether a bad idea? Am I worrying too much?
Bill, I am no POEFEASHINAL.

Allot of people use Super Glue, GS Crystal cement, and the likes.
I heard some guys tell of using 5-minute epoxy, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Certain Bezels, a replacement can easily be sourced off the internet, Ex- Rolex size for Invicta's 8927.
So damage from removal is not a deal breaker.

I can not buy a replacement bezel for my Grand Diver, from Invicta, I have to send the watch in. :lol::laugh::w00t:
So I might need to remove the bezel with-out damaging in the future.

I was using 3" x 5", 3m double sided contact sheets, clear, 2mil or .002 thick.
And cutting my own adhesive circles, cutting the outside with a good pair of scissors was easy.
Cutting the inside with a exacto blade was a PIA.

I've actually played and tested a couple of glue's, from...
Dap's, weldwood contact cement.
Shoe Goo
Elmers rubber cement.

Using a small eyeliner brush.

Hands down, elmers rubber cement.
Before I put the octagon spring in, I put the bezel on, and line up the insert for the 12' position, mark it.
Take it off, glue up the bezel, put the insert in place, cover with an old polish cloth, set a 40mm-Socket on the insert. let it sit overnight.
Peel off the cloth, rub the excess away, wash with soap and water.

I took one and cycled it 5-times from an hour in the freezer, to a minute in boiling water, perfect.
I took the insert off, still had consistent tension, 360, but not enough to warp or distort the insert.

Remember, if I can't remove the Bezel Insert, I can not remove the Bezel.

Top view of GAP, BEZEL INSERT, removed.
BEZEL TO CASE GAP, 0.065MM OR 0.0023 INCH, thats a hair over Two Tenths of a One Thousandth.

tim

Tangine: "Cross over children. All are welcome. All welcome. Go into the Light. There is peace and serenity in the Light. "

1 - 19 of 19 Posts