WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been leaning heavily towards buying an Invicta diver. The one I have my eye on is this one, which I believe is the Pro Grand Diver (model 3047):

Boscoe's review of the Reserve Pro Diver is giving me pause, though. I'd not been aware of QC issues with Invicta (I've only recently become familiar with the brand).

I guess my question is this: Should I let any QC issues divert my attention from the brand; assuming I haven't yet made my decision on a model? Are the QC issues across the entire line? Are the QC issues over-rated? Are they under-stated?

I'm not going to buy anything until I see what's available on the next Sunday Run, but I'm now a little less convinced than I was that Invicta is the way to go.

Any advice, suggestions, or anecdotes would be appreciated.

Muchos grassyass...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hey Steve,
I have many Invictas and have been collecting for years and I have never had an issue with anyone of my watches. The Grand Diver is a great watch with a Miyota movement. I have one myself. The Miyota movement is commonly referred to as the Workhorse. I would not hesitate for one second when buying an Invicta.
Don

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Steve,

The Grand Diver was my first Invicta. And I have about 28 others. None have needed repair or have been sent to Invicta for service. A few purchased did get returned for various reasons but only one out of the bunch was defective. That is a pretty fair success rate based on the 1.5 million watches the Lalo sells each year.

The Grand Diver is a fine watch. I suspect you will love it.:001_tt1:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
the only invictas that have CQ problems are the swiss, if you buy a miyota powered invicta, you will be happy forever.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I want to know too!

Lately, I've been leaning heavily towards buying an Invicta diver. The one I have my eye on is this one, which I believe is the Pro Grand Diver (model 3047):

Boscoe's review of the Reserve Pro Diver is giving me pause, though. I'd not been aware of QC issues with Invicta (I've only recently become familiar with the brand).

I guess my question is this: Should I let any QC issues divert my attention from the brand; assuming I haven't yet made my decision on a model? Are the QC issues across the entire line? Are the QC issues over-rated? Are they under-stated?

I'm not going to buy anything until I see what's available on the next Sunday Run, but I'm now a little less convinced than I was that Invicta is the way to go.

Any advice, suggestions, or anecdotes would be appreciated.

Muchos grassyass...

Steve I am not an expert on Invicta and I wanted to make that plain right off the bat. Invicta watches like all watches are made from a great number of components and like anything of this nature lemons are bound to be produced. So far I have only had a problem with one Invicta and it was on the lower end. The stem comes all the way out on a speedway I own (bottom rung speedway) and the watch is less than 6 mos old! Just from what I have read in here, the customer service department has a great deal to be desired. I mean, I don't want to have a problem with a brand new Seiko for example but I know from past experience the CS at Seiko is fantastic so I buy that brand with confidence there most likely will be no problem and also know if there is, I am not going to have a problem with getting it taken care of.

I am glad you started this thread because I like you am very interested in what the long time Invicta owners have to say about their experience with the brand. What they have to say will have a great deal to do with my buying of the brand for myself in the future.

Thanks for starting this very good question. I am looking forward to learning from those that have been with the brand at all levels for some time.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
miyota is a Japanese automatic movement, made by citizen, its extremely durable and accurate.

excellent problems free Japanese movement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Speaking of Miyota movements. Can any of you watch experts tell me if it's normal for the second hand on a Miyota automatic movement to sweep erratically on the watch's dial when you tilt it? I have a watch (not an Invicta) with a Miyota 8215 movement that skips and staggers it's way around the right side of the dial if you tilt the watch. It doesn't do this as long as the dial is facing up, but if you lay it on it's side or tilt your wrist at an angle it'll start skipping.

I sent an email to the watch's maker and was told that this is a normal "stuttering" charactersistic of a Miyota movement, but I have an Invicta 8926 with the same Miyota 8215 movement and it doesn't that. I posted the same question in another forum, but I was told that the stuttering occurs only when you tap the watch, not tilt it. Any ideas or comments?

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Speaking of Miyota movements. Can any of you watch experts tell me if it's normal for the second hand on a Miyota automatic movement to sweep erratically on the watch's dial when you tilt it? I have a watch (not an Invicta) with a Miyota 8215 movement that skips and staggers it's way around the right side of the dial if you tilt the watch. It doesn't do this as long as the dial is facing up, but if you lay it on it's side or tilt your wrist at an angle it'll start skipping.

I sent an email to the watch's maker and was told that this is a normal "stuttering" charactersistic of a Miyota movement, but I have an Invicta 8926 with the same Miyota 8215 movement and it doesn't that. I posted the same question in another forum, but I was told that the stuttering occurs only when you tap the watch, not tilt it. Any ideas or comments?
Miyota movements aren't as smooth and refined as most of their Swiss counterparts.
The "stuttering" is not uncommon for the Miyota.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have only had one Invicta with a problem. Same as posted above. Stem comes all the way out. Again a cheap quartz version. I have never had a problem with my other 10 Invictas. The diver with the myiota movement is a solid buy.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Invicta CS is a crapshoot. Buy the watch, just make sure the vendor has a good return policy. I have only experienced one issue with an Invicta out of more than 4 dozen. The falling screws don't count (though it is frustrating) since I've had this happen to other more expensive watches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Miyota movements aren't as smooth and refined as most of their Swiss counterparts.
The "stuttering" is not uncommon for the Miyota.
So then, the stuttering when you tilt the watch is not a defect of the movement?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Invicta CS is a crapshoot. Buy the watch, just make sure the vendor has a good return policy. I have only experienced one issue with an Invicta out of more than 4 dozen. The falling screws don't count (though it is frustrating) since I've had this happen to other more expensive watches.

Well, the issue I have is not with an Invicta watch, but an Android watch that has a Miyota movement. I have an Invicta 8926 and I have no issues with it. I was just wondering if the skipping of the second hand was a defect in my particular watch's movement, although it doesn't seem to affect timekeeping.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Well, the issue I have is not with an Invicta watch, but an Android watch that has a Miyota movement. I have an Invicta 8926 and I have no issues with it. I was just wondering if the skipping of the second hand was a defect in my particular watch's movement, although it doesn't seem to affect timekeeping.
That is quite normal with a Miyota movement. When tapped it will stop or skip, then pick right up to where it belongs. There is no cure, but there's nothing to worry about either. Just a quirk of the movement. Makes it kind of fun. Sometimes I do it on purpose. Of course, I'm easily amused.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Well let me start with I have purchased over 80 Invictas since 2004 from mechanical to quartz. I have never had a problem with a new watch from a web or B&M AD. Some issues with mistreated used watches.

I have had no issues with ETA, Sellita, or Miyota automatics. These movements are the workhorses of the watch industry. Watch companies that don't have their own in house movement use one of these. So they are proven under fire.

Lets be honest people log on to forums and state their problem, but rarely do they let us know what happen after the posting. Was the issue handled or are they still dealing with the vender or Invicta CS.

Service has improved every year, but it still needs work to be on par with the big boys. Invicta still needs to show it can resolve issues after purchase in a timely and professional manner.

I would say get the watch and enjoy a great looking watch at a great price. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is quite normal with a Miyota movement. When tapped it will stop or skip, then pick right up to where it belongs. There is no cure, but there's nothing to worry about either. Just a quirk of the movement. Makes it kind of fun. Sometimes I do it on purpose. Of course, I'm easily amused.
Thanks, Boscoe. I'm aware that tapping the watch will cause the second hand to momentarily stop, but the problem is that I'm not tapping the watch. All I'm doing is tilting the watch at an angle or laying down on it's side. The second hand sweeps completely around the dial as long as the dial is facing up, but tilt it to the side and the second hand moves erratically.

This vid shows what I mean. You'll notice the weird second hand movement as it begins to approach the 2 o'clock marker. Once it clears past the 6 o'clock marker, the second hand starts to sweep normally. All I've done is positioned the watch to face forward, I have not tapped nor shaken the watch.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Thanks, Boscoe. I'm aware that tapping the watch will cause the second hand to momentarily stop, but the problem is that I'm not tapping the watch. All I'm doing is tilting the watch at an angle or laying down on it's side. The second hand sweeps completely around the dial as long as the dial is facing up, but tilt it to the side and the second hand moves erratically.

This vid shows what I mean. You'll notice the weird second hand movement as it begins to approach the 2 o'clock marker. Once it clears past the 6 o'clock marker, the second hand starts to sweep normally. All I've done is positioned the watch to face forward, I have not tapped nor shaken the watch.

I have a Fossil Automatic that has that same issue.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I know my observation is unscientific but in the past 6 months reading posts here and elsewhere, I would say the company has turned a corner in QC area.

One year ago, howls of complaints about shoddy Invicta products were the overwhelming topic on watch forums.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have not had any issues with the grand divers. Have 3, one I have only worn to try on. The second hand is constistant throughout whether it is vertical or not. That issue would bother me. I did get a myoita movement that skipped seconds from about 5 to 25 and sent it back. The mineral crystal on the watches is very scratch resistant. I have none on mine so far.

With regard to parts, I ordered band screws from Invicta and they never came. But, that story is an old one around here. I did find a website that advertises watch band screws. These small screws are dirt cheap and would cost Inivicta virtually nothing to send out to us.

http://www.ofrei.com/page590.html

Check out some of these prices on movements in the "watch materials" section. Pretty cool...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts