WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a lot of reviews on the 8926 and the new NH35A movement and because of that, I plan on conducting an experiment.

I recently purchased an 8926 Pro Diver Coin Edge Bezel with an NH35A from my local Sam's Club.
I also elected to purchase the extended warranty with Sam's in that I felt that Invicta's warranty (unlike their watches) had an iffy reputation.
So, I'm covered with a warranty for the foreseeable future and since this watch is my every-day-wear watch, I plan on putting it to the test.

I am an avid handgun shooter, and my round of choice is the 1911 Government Model and the 45 ACP cartridge.
This combination is known for it's recoil, considered by some to be extreme and uncontrollable.
Upon my next range session, I plan on discharging 500 rounds wearing my pro diver.
Shock from the muzzle blast and recoil will be sufficient to see if the movement can tolerate conditions that will usually be in the extreme range of what most people will wear this watch for.

Wish me luck, but after 9 full power factory loaded rounds, my Invicta is still running like a workhorse.
(it might not sound like a lot, but my 18 year old cousin once shot my 1911 and after one round, handed it back to me while wincing and rubbing the web of her hand).
I've seen handgun blast and recoil stop quartz movements cold or worse, shatter mineral crystals from the change in air pressure.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Good Luck!!!

(1) I thought you could only regenerate 12 times. Has Steven Moffatt told you something the rest of us don't know? :lol:
(2) Good caliber! I have never had an issue with recoil in the 1911-A1. At least not with a full-size steel frame. Hot handloads in something like the Kimber Ultra Carry II in a 3 inch barrel...now that one might kick!
(3) An interesting experiment. I'd like to know the results after you're done tabulating them. A lot of shooters I've noticed either wear cheap plastic watches like the Ironman / G Shock or else they shoot bare wristed. When I went to the range, I'd leave my regular watch in the car's glove box and wear one of my Casios. That got to be my regular routine, even when I just did some tack-driving with my .22 LRs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I never change watches. Usually my everyday beater is either in Invicta pro diver (9094A) or an orient homage. One of the disciplines I shoot requires 180 rds of .45acp per match. (actually only 90, but I use my .45 twice) and neither watch has ever had an issue. I frequently shoot .40 S&W at work, also without thought to changing my watch, also without issue. The only time I ever switched watches was when I shot PPC and their was a 90 second stage requiring two reloads. Then I wore my Timex Iron man with the stopwatch on to let me know how much time I had left for my last six shots.

I think that your Pro Diver will also hold up fine, but, it certainly is a good excuse to go out and shoot a lot and to combine your watch hobby in the same afternoon :):thumbup1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have an 8926 and also shoot my Ruger 1911, granted I've never put that many rounds through it at one time but I've never had a problem with a watch while shooting. I am a right handed shooter and wear my watch on my left. I'm somewhat small framed, 5'-9" and about 155#, my son who is also 18 is 5'-8 and about 135 and neither of us feel the recoil from the Ruger is bad at all, honestly I have a S&W model 659 9mm that seems to have the same or maybe slightly harsher recoil in my opinion. The weight of the 1911 usually helps dampen the shock. If someone says it hurts, they're probably not holding it tight enough. I will admit though that the 45 muzzle flash and percussion can be intimidating to someone not used to it. Saw an interesting sticker "45 ACP, because shooting twice is just silly".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just never felt comfortable wearing an automatic to the range. Always wear a cheap quartz just in case. Never found a 45 ACP 1911 painful to shoot. To me the recoil is more of a push compared to the snap of a 9mm or 40. What I do find painful is my 380 P-3AT. Three mags and I'm ready to shoot something else. Never been an issue with a 1911. I guess size does matter. edison

·
Super Moderator
5,543 Posts
Interesting. I'm not a shooter so my frame of reference is limited, but I was told years ago that an automatic wrist watch should not be subjected to the shock of playing golf. I try to not abuse my watches. Good luck. Are you hoping to break the watch or do you want it to survive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.