WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This N1 218 Deep Sea was recently pictured on The Watch Forum. Beautiful watch! What I find interesting is the case back. I am not very familiar with Deep Sea Accutrons but all I have seen have had the traditional 218 case back. The case back shown was used by Bulova on their mechanical watches. That i do know. I have an '81 in a stadium case with this back. Experts, set me straight!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The watch is supposed to be an N1 but, like you, I can't quite decipher the date script. Since the Deep Sea did come with a one-piece case back, but rather generic and plain looking, I suspect the back was switched. There are 8 of these watches currently listed on eBay and none of them have that case back.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Glad someone talks of the Deep Sea Bulova....I thought they were a dirty secret. Dancing, naked women on the back of a watch and WTF is with the 666 thing?? Was Bulova run by the antichrist then?? What happens if you descend to 667 feet?? How would you even know?
My wife and I were talking about the very same things a while ago. I love the look of this model but it is curious about the "666" mark and the "Lady" - :001_tt1:

I so would like to have one of these. Problem is, all the really unique ones I now need for my collection are also the more expensive ones! :sad:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
605 Posts
How do you know the lady is naked ?
It is the only reason a man, professionally employed, would put a lady on the back of a watch. His brain was pre-occupied when he was sitting there looking at a blank piece of paper and has to design.....Possibly he had been at a strip club the night before. At least he had the class to not include the pole..

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was this back only on the Swiss ones ?
How do you know the lady is naked ?
So many questions.
Your first question is a good one. That or different years of production but I would bet on Swiss since my Bulova with ETA auto mvt. is Swiss also. Needs more research.

Not quite naked. She has a thin veil draped over a portion of her body but I do think her breast(s) show. Pretty risqué for Bulova to use that logo and they started with it many years before this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The 666 is a rounding off (up). It is actually 200 meters which equals 656 feet (so don't test it to 666 LOL). The U.S. is one of the last three holdouts for adopting the metric system, this one was swiss made but obviously for the U.S. market. Very nice watch, I keep looking for one of these for my Accutron/Bulova-centric collection.:001_smile:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 666 is a rounding off (up). It is actually 200 meters which equals 656 feet (so don't test it to 666 LOL). The U.S. is one of the last three holdouts for adopting the metric system, this one was swiss made but obviously for the U.S. market. Very nice watch, I keep looking for one of these for my Accutron/Bulova-centric collection.:001_smile:
Yep, knew about the rounding off thing. A few of my Vostok Russian watches are water resistant to 200 m also. Unfortunately, prices are usually up there.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Well there you go. Thanks for that. I still fear the antichrist had a hand in it.....

It is a wonderful feeling to have a watch you can wear in the shower, the bath, in the rain and then jump into the Pacific and go body surfing with it on.

Which are the other two countries?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Funny, I was in public school when we changed over here in Canada, I started learning imperial until grade 5 and then they immersed us in metric. I work in a science field and use metric for my work but refer to my height and weight in inches and pounds and do all my home projects in SAE/imperial. I need to have a full set each of SAE and metric sockets and wrenches for my workshop depending on when/where the product was built.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some years ago our gas stations decided they were going to dispense gas in liters. Some changed over and posted large conversion charts. It didn't last long. Too many complaints. I taught the metric system and worked with it in the lab but still think in inches, feet, pounds, etc. It really doesn't matter as we have computers to convert automatically for the world market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.